Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Groups Seeking Donated Materials and Knitted Items
 "Knits for Infants" group started
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marcy Taitz
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  10:53:14 AM  Show Profile Send Marcy Taitz a Private Message
Hi everyone,

I have started a small charity knitting group which knits for the North Central Bronx Hospital in Bronx, NY. We are making blankets, hats, booties for the neonatal unit and baby/toddler clothes which will be given to the young mothers in the parenting program when they are showing cooperation with the program. We would love donations of knitted items and/or yarn for these projects. Newborn items should be machine washable/dryable since anything used in the nursery will be laundered there. Larger sizes can be any fiber but easy care (superwash wool or cotton, or blends) are preferable. ANy donated yarn should be soft! Please e-mail me if you want to help out. Many thanks in advance.

Marcy
mtaitz@optonline.net

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:46:15 AM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
Would you rather have the yarn, or finished items? I am a former NICU RN, and would be happy to knit some items for you. Problem is, I live in AL, so don't want to incur huge postage costs. But a few items wouldn't be that expensive to ship.

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Marcy Taitz
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  4:31:19 PM  Show Profile Send Marcy Taitz a Private Message
Hi Irishmom,

Thanks a million for your offer of help! Knitted items would be great if you have time to do them, yarn is great too. I would certainly reimburse your postage so if you have both and want to send them don't worry about the cost!

Warmly,
Marcy
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message
Hi, Marcy,

I have a BUNCH of yarn, but unfortunately it's acrylic. don't know how you feel about that. I do want to donate to someone, and I like the idea of infants' clothes. It's mostly Caron Super Soft.

PM me if you're interested.

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh
Go to Top of Page

Marcy Taitz
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  7:21:02 PM  Show Profile Send Marcy Taitz a Private Message
In response to Julie's kind offer of yarn, the answer is that we do accept acrylics as long as they don't feel rough. The hospital launders items to be used in the nursery and they use heat so that yarn needs to be non-shrinkable. Superwash wool or blends like Plymouth Encore/ Lion Wool-ease, etc. are very good also. We do use regular soft wool for items to be given to the mothers (of the newborns and the older children in the parenting classes) to take home, if they are willing to take proper care of them. So if anyone has yarn that they want to unload for a good cause, we can probably accept it. THe only kind we really don't use is the glitzy novelty yarn.
Thanks to all who wish to help with yarn or knitted items! Sewn clothing (new) is also appropriate. Anything from large preemie to preschool size is needed.
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  08:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
There's a similar group founded here on the West Coast called Stitches from the heart that collects stuff. Some of you may find something closer to home in their nationwide hospital list:

http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/hospitals.html

HoJo

Visit us at: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000