Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 How to write a dishcloth pattern?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbstewart
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  6:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbstewart's Homepage Send bbstewart a Private Message
I've been knitting quite a few dishcloths lately, the ones with the picture knit in it. I want to knit one with a team mascot, Arkansas Razorback, into a dishcloth for my aunt. I have searched the web and come up short. I know it can't be too hard to design one but I really don't know where to begin. I thought about getting a graphic, tracing it onto graph paper so I could have the general layout but don't know where to go from there. Most of the patterns I have done use purl stitches on a knitted background to make the pattern stand out. I'm not sure how I would figure this out. Can anyone offer help?

TIA,
Beth

What Row Am I On?
http://whatrowamion.blogspot.com

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  8:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
If you used graph paper to make your design couldn't you just mark that portion of the design with something to designate a Purl stitch and mark the others to represent a Knit stitch. Then if you wanted to write it out you'd look at your picture and say K5, P1, K2, P1, and so on. Does that make sense?

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Beth, If you feel like sharing that pattern when you are done, let me know.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
Beth, get yourself some knitters' graph paper that matches your gauge (I like the ones here but there are plenty out there), and then draw your picture out on it, coloring each rectangle that will be part of the picture. When you knit it, each blank (not part of the picture) square will be knitted on the RS, purled on the WS, while the colored-in squares will be purled on the RS, knitted on the WS. This will give you your picture in reverse-stockinette, and the background in regular stockinette. You'll probably also want to keep a border in garter stitch (knitted both RS and WS) to keep the edges from curling up.
Go to Top of Page

Saleknitter
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  5:46:20 PM  Show Profile Send Saleknitter a Private Message
Does this help?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATsmartchart.html
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  04:21:16 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
Hi I tried to change a graphed picture to a written pattern. Somehow I think I am doing something wrong.
First I took the picture I wanted and saved it to the computer.
Then I went to Knitpro and clicked on regular size and knit pattern.
The pattern came out in color instead of balck and white. (I do not know if that has anything to do with the issues I am having or not. The pattern was charted on graph paper.

The squares that were empty (white) I am marking on lined paper as knits, the colored squares I am marking as purl.
Plus the first 4 and last 4 stitches of every row are my boarder,

Am I on the right track with this method or do I need to start from the beginning again?

I just do not want to waste a couple of good knitting hours to a flop of a design, plus trying to make the design as well.

The plus is it is only a dishcloth and would not take as long a time to write out as say a sweater or vest.

Thank you for your help
Scraffan
Go to Top of Page

scraffan
Permanent Resident

1844 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  04:25:14 AM  Show Profile Send scraffan a Private Message
I forgot to ask is there a computer program available for not only graphing a picture for pattern but marking each square knit or purl?
Scraffan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?