Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 DVD "classes"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  03:35:40 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
How many of you have had the privilege of taking classes from any of the people whose books sit on your shelves....Meg Swansen, Cat Bordhi, Kaffe Fassett, the Mason-Dixon gals, etc?? If you have, I'll bet you live in a large city. I live in south central Nebraska and none of these teachers are EVER going to come HERE. Why don't more of them do 'taped' classes? I would like to see a whole shelf of video lessons on DVD at every LYS. I can buy movies at the video store for under $20, why can't I buy a lesson for the same. I realize they wouldn't sell the same volume, but they wouldn't cost millions to make either. I have all but one of Elizabeth Zimmermann's tapes/DVD's and have learned SO much and enjoyed her teaching. Those of us who do not live on either coast (or anywhere close) would really go for this idea. What do others think?[whatever]

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  05:35:51 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
Even though I have been fortunate enough to take some classes from very accomplished knitters, I would still love DVD sessions of these classes (or the classes that were sold out at Stitches) I live in L.A., but it seems like a lot of the instructors do not get out here to teach the classes in our LYS. I have to go to Stitches to get that experience. It would be great to have them on my shelf to practice.

J.
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  06:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Great idea. It would be nice on DVD, then I could fast forward over the stuff I know and rewind on the stuff I'm struggling with.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  10:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
There are quite a few designers/instructors that have DVD's available. We just got in Lucy Neatby's first 2, Knitting Essentials Pts 1 & 2. And we have in stock Sock III (I & II sold out already) by Nenah Galati and The Art of Knittng. We usally have more but seem to have had a run on DVD's the last few weeks.

Linda in Va

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  12:21:23 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
A while ago I got a catalog from the Yarn Barn of Kansas that was all DVDs and videos, mostly kniting but also some other fiber arts (weaving, spinning, etc). There were quite a few! Knit Picks has some also.

www.yarnbarn-ks.com

I have the Knitting Glossary DVD (EZ and Meg) and learned a lot from it.

One of the great things about the Stitches events is you do get to take classes from the people who write the books!

Anita

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
I agree...even though I can take classes and my teacher Nina has forgotten more than I will ever know I still want my dvd classes too, especially for the winter and for helping others when I don't know how to do something when they ask for help. I don't know why there aren't just tons and tons of em. Anita thank you so much for this link. I went there and wish listed a bunch but I think I will be ordering my top pick this weekend. I have been scouring the internet for sites with knit videos. Glad for this topic, I love the idea of dvd's.

Crystal
"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  03:47:48 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
Ooooh! Thanks for the link! Lawrence, Kansas is actually within driving distance for me - a long day's trip, but doable. I have to say that I hadn't seen so many DVD's/videos in one place. I do wish the price were lower, but I suppose because they are not produced in the great quantities that popular movies are, they feel they can't get the price down. As it is, I may order 2 or 3, but if the price were lower, I'd buy two to three TIMES that. Since these may be the only "classes" I'll get to take, I hope more of the 'big names' will make some.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
There are also quite a few videos on Meg Swansen's site ( www.schoolhousepress.com ). Some of these are also in the Yarn Barn catalog. They are in the process of converting their old videos to DVD, and charging less for them, too. So if you prefer DVD, don't rush out and buy the VHS! I want to get Meg's "Cardigan Details." There are an astounding number of techniques covered in it.

(For those who don't know, Meg is EZ's daughter.)

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

tiennie
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit tiennie's Homepage Send tiennie a Private Message
What a great idea! I've been saving som Knitty Gritty episodes so I can watch them over and over but my DVR will get full if I save too much!

Happy knitting or knit 'til you're happy! - tiennie
http://www.tiennieknits.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  11:38:03 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Wow, I'd love that too. i have some Machine Knitting classes on Cd's which are excellent, but I sure would like some from some of the book writing hand knitters.

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.