Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 dale of norway baby ull sweater help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edenandaverymum
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  11:38:55 AM  Show Profile Send edenandaverymum a Private Message
ok. this yarn is teeny.

did you double it? triple it? I am making a raglan pullover, a bit trim fitted for an 18-24 months size. I have to get measurements. I would have used about 200grams of a worsted weight wool, how much baby ull do you think I need, in 50g balls, about 190 yards/ball.
I don't want to buy a ton and be drowning in it or run out.

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
If you double it, it makes about a DK weight, so just a little thinner than worsted; tripled it gives you about an aran, so a little heavier.

Doubled, you'd be getting 190yds for every *100* grams, which is pretty close to worsted yardage (I think you get a little less yardage/gram because it's a little denser, being two little strands instead of one larger one). I think you're still going to come in pretty close to your 200gms, but I think I'd probably buy one extra ball, for 250gms total, just to be on the safe side. You can always take it back, or make a matching hat.
Go to Top of Page

edenandaverymum
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  4:31:57 PM  Show Profile Send edenandaverymum a Private Message
ok cool. I've never doubled yarn before so I didn't know how screwy it would make my yardage etc. I didn't want to end up with double the cost or half the sweater.
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  5:28:39 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
If you haven't purchased the yarn yet, you might want to consider buying their Free Style yarn instead. It is a light worsted weight of the same feel and washability as the Baby Ull and you wouldn't have to double it. I made a pair of socks for my DH with it and he loves them. They are very soft and cuddly. Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe