Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 MX Reative Dyes on Cotton
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cat
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile Send cat a Private Message
I have some MX Reactive Dye and would like to rainbow dye some cotton -- does anyone have any directions or suggestions?

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

I have some MX Reactive Dye and would like to rainbow dye some cotton -- does anyone have any directions or suggestions?

I have dyed cotton fabric alot this way and this works with any cellulose fiber and silk:

1. Start with PFD or cleanse the fabric/fiber with Synthrapol.
2. Presoak the cotton in water with soda ash in it, according to soda ash instructions.
3. Make your dyestocks according to directions and don't forget the salt. Do this after you start the presoak as the fiber reactive dyes lose dye strength starting immediately.
4. Put your fiber into a container after squeezing excess water out, and plastic bags work great for this for both microwave dyeing of wool and fiber reactive dyeing cotton. Add your dye.....now you can mix in the bag, but know that the dye strikes almost immediately, and so if you put orange dye and then yellow, you will have sections of orange and yellow. But if you mix the dye first then pour it in, you will have orangish yellow, for example.
5. Seal the bags and moosh the fiber around. Let the bags sit for at least four hours, agitating them regularly. Any dyes that contain turquoise should sit for 24 hours, as this dye takes longer to strike.
6. Rinse the fiber out. Some of the colors of dye will not exhaust particularly the blues and reds, because there are fugitives in the dye.

You can also dye in containers or a dyepot, but I find the above method to be really accessible, the results are very striking, and the mess is relatively contained.

Good Luck and happy dyeing.!!

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

I have dyed cotton fabric alot this way and this works with any cellulose fiber and silk:

2. Presoak the cotton in water with soda ash in it, according to soda ash instructions.
3. Make your dyestocks according to directions and don't forget the salt. Do this after you start the presoak as the fiber reactive dyes lose dye strength starting immediately.
4. Put your fiber into a container after squeezing excess water out, and plastic bags work great for this for both microwave dyeing of wool and fiber reactive dyeing cotton. Add your dye.....now you can mix in the bag, but know that the dye strikes almost immediately, and so if you put orange dye and then yellow, you will have sections of orange and yellow. But if you mix the dye first then pour it in, you will have orangish yellow, for example.
5. Seal the bags and moosh the fiber around. Let the bags sit for at least four hours, agitating them regularly. Any dyes that contain turquoise should sit for 24 hours, as this dye takes longer to strike.
6. Rinse the fiber out. Some of the colors of dye will not exhaust particularly the blues and reds, because there are fugitives in the dye.

You can also dye in containers or a dyepot, but I find the above method to be really accessible, the results are very striking, and the mess is relatively contained.

Kelley

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

quote:

Kelley

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe