Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Help! Big dyeing problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ruthmm
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  12:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ruthmm's Homepage Send ruthmm a Private Message
I'm wondering if anyone can help me! I have created a knitted pice of work using Lang's Jawoll Superwash which is 75 % wool, 18% nylon,, 7% acrylic.

This piece is knitted in white and black/grey. I used black rit dye to try and paint with dye dark stripes on the black/grey areas. Unfortunately when I rinsed out the dye the rinse water greyed out the white areas. To make matters worse I used bleach on a section of the white to try and whiten it again but it stripped the white yarn of all color and now that section is a horrible natural yellow color.

So my question is can I restore any of the white back to the original bright white color?
If anyone can help me, thank-you!

we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art.
Henry James

Rooster
Chatty Knitter

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  9:25:02 PM  Show Profile Send Rooster a Private Message
I'm going out on a limb from other posts I've read re: bleach on wool. And I'm sad to report, you should never use bleach on wool or wool blends, it destroys and weakens the fibers.

The up side is...learn from your mistakes? We all make them.

Sorry[:((]

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  9:40:49 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I'm not sure if only 7% acrylic could be a culprit but I have done research and others here have informed me that dyeing acrylic is a real problem.

Bleach is always not a good idea, but now you know that as Wendy pointed out.

I've had problems with Rit bleeding onto lighter colors,too. I now use acid dyes on my protein and nylon projects.

I'm sorry![:((]

M L
Go to Top of Page

EliotsSocks
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  10:39:11 AM  Show Profile Send EliotsSocks a Private Message
Why not overdye the whole thing a new colour to try to salvage the project? That's probably what I would do. I don't think you can restore the "white" of the yarn... Try a nice deep colour and it will look varigated with the black and white dyes underneath...

Happy Knitting!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?