Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 can't seem to finish anything...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:23:38 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
I've been trying very hard to use up some of my stash. I've blended several yarns, and decided on what I thought were some "smaller" projects....tank tops.

But alas, I get 1/2 to 3/4 finished on 2 tops, and not enough yarn. One top, the yarn apparently discontinued and nobody can find, even just alittle. The other, I'm going to have to break the rules and.....buy some more...bummer!

Kristin

"Why is it that dogs get mad when you blow in their faces, but love to ride with their heads out of the window?"

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  07:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Kristin, a suggestion presented for your consideration...

stripes

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Perfect solution.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

MissMarple
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  08:05:37 AM  Show Profile Send MissMarple a Private Message
Kristin, a yarn meter, which is just a fishing line counter, might help you determine how many yards of yarn you have. I got mine from Bass Pro Shop. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=36569&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  08:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
MissMarple, My husband drags me to Bass Pro on a regular basis. Truth be told there is a yarn store 2 blocks down from the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO and that is the real reason I go. Now I have a reason to actually go into the store.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  10:45:43 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MissMarple

Kristin, a yarn meter, which is just a fishing line counter, might help you determine how many yards of yarn you have. I got mine from Bass Pro Shop. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=36569&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

How does it work? I've got some yarn my mom gave me that is wound, but no ball band. I have no idea how much is there ("a couple of balls")

Kristin

"Why is it that dogs get mad when you blow in their faces, but love to ride with their heads out of the window?"
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  1:34:08 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
If you know what weight(thickness) it is and how many ounces you have you can guesstimate with average yardages--like 4 ply worsted is usually between 55 and 65 yards per ounce. All cotton is shorter than that though, and some acrylic is longer so it can be pretty iffy.
There is something called a McMorran yarn balance. It's a little plexiglass box with a balance bar. You cut a piece of yarn, hang it over the end and trim length until it balances. Measure the piece in inches and that will tell you how many yards per lb. for that yarn. It works on any yarn or any combination thereof. We've measured multiple stranded yarns with total success. I wore out 3 at the store in 16 years.

You can also buy the yardage meter other posters have mentioned.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?