Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 My technique adventure scarf
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SisterTheresa
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  8:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SisterTheresa's Homepage Send SisterTheresa a Private Message
How much can you say about a simple stockinette st scarf? We shall see. :-) I wanted to do something simple to work on my stitch technique, figure out a comfy way to knit without twisting stitches, and maybe even learn to knit right handed.

So I pulled out some novelty yarn I got at the dollar store and cast on. It's Paton's Evita, a funky ladder yarn with soft puffs. I really didn't think I would like knitting with it, but it was only $1, I had to buy it! To my suprise, I am enjoying it. It is very soft, and reminds me of ***** willows, which makes think happy thoughts about my mama and springtime and such.

The difficulty is, that it is really hard to see what the stitches look like with all that laddering and puffing going on! Still, I did figure out how to knit comfortably without twisting stitches. I am quite pleased how quickly I zoom along with it already. I cast on a Thuja sock today, and with my new improved knit stitch it is going straight and true, not spirally softly clockwise like my previous socks!

Now I am working on knitting right handed, and I 'm not sure how that's going. I was concerned that it would be like learning all over again (and that was a painful, sweaty, tangly process that made me wish I swore). And it isn't, so that is good. It's even somewhat comfortable. But my right handed rows are way to tight, and I can't quite figure out how to get the yarn where I want it to be. I'm going to get my sister to knit a few stitches for me so I can see how she does it.

I think it's funny though, that knitting 'right handed', it is still my left needle that does most of the moving!

Happy knitting, y'all!

Theresa
primary knitter for James and 6 little sprouts
Moriah, Samuel, Toby, Elsie, Peter, and Little Engine due Oct. 31

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Theresa, Practice relaxing those stitches. My mother is right handed and is the tightest knitter I have ever seen. I just laugh at her because she can barely stick the needle in the yarn at times. I'm always telling her to relax but she doesn't listen. I think that is why she barely knits.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Theresa, Practice relaxing those stitches. My mother is right handed and is the tightest knitter I have ever seen. I just laugh at her because she can barely stick the needle in the yarn at times. I'm always telling her to relax but she doesn't listen. I think that is why she barely knits.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message
I have found that my students who knitted too tight were not pushing the needle that is making the new stitch completely up to the full part of the needle before dropping the previous stitch off the end of the needle. Students who knitted too close to the points tended to do this. The new sttich must go onto the full needle size, past the point taper. Sorry this is not clearer, but I was trying not to use left or right needle since some knit left-handed and some right-handed. Also, holding the needles too far apart from each other pulls yarn out of the stitch and into the strand between the needles. This will tighten up the stitch. If this is not clear I will try again.

Good Luck,
Pam
Go to Top of Page

PamelaA3
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile Send PamelaA3 a Private Message
I have found that my students who knitted too tight were not pushing the needle that is making the new stitch completely up to the full part of the needle before dropping the previous stitch off the end of the needle. Students who knitted too close to the points tended to do this. The new sttich must go onto the full needle size, past the point taper. Sorry this is not clearer, but I was trying not to use left or right needle since some knit left-handed and some right-handed. Also, holding the needles too far apart from each other pulls yarn out of the stitch and into the strand between the needles. This will tighten up the stitch. If this is not clear I will try again.

Good Luck,
Pam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.