Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Problems with silk -- dye not penetrating strand
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loreet@onewest.net
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send loreet@onewest.net a Private Message
Hi!
I've just started playing with Henry's Attic silk yarns (I'm not sure which -- I have a few different kinds) and Prochemical Wash Fast dyes. I followed the Prochem instructions and wet my skeins -- with Synthrapol, the first time for one hour, the second time for several hours, the third time overnight. I followed all the immersion instructions to the letter.

The colors took beautifully, on the surface of the yarn (100% silk), but the inside of my yarn is still white. Apparently the dye did not penetrate the yarn completely on any of my trials. Is there a better wetting agent to help me? Or a different dye that might work better? Longer soaking? Any tips for dyeing silk are appreciated -- I am not finding much online. And if I have this much trouble with immersion dyeing, I can only imagine that painting the dye onto the skeins would work even less completely.

Thank you for any advice!
Loretta

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
You probably already read this but in case you haven't. http://www.prochemical.com/directions/WF_ImmersionWool.htm It talks about silk in #4.

Cayli in San Diego

My Blog and Handspun Yarn

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Go to Top of Page

loreet@onewest.net
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile Send loreet@onewest.net a Private Message
Thank you for responding Cayli,

I read and followed all the instructions Prochem provides on each of my 3 trials. My dyebath was pretty much exhausted each time. Adding additional dye or vinegar did not seem to help the dye penetrate further into the yarn, it only made the outside color darker, which is not what I want. The outside color of my silk yarn is rich and brilliant.

I am wondering if timing makes a difference -- like would adding the Citric Acid later in the process assure a better result, because the dye could penetrate into the yarn, and then adding citric acid later would fix it after a bit? But the instructions don't say anything about this -- and I would hate to ruin my silk.

Thank you!
Loretta
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  2:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
Maybe someone more experienced with silk and those dyes will see this and have good help for you. I have only used Lanaset dyes although I noticed the directions are almost the same. I have never experienced the dye not penetrating the yarn. I did notice on the Lanaset instructions for silk and hand painting it says to let it sit wrapped in saran wrap for 30 minutes before heat setting for better absorption of the dye but no mention on immersion. Sorry to not be more help. Good luck.

Cayli in San Diego

My Blog and Handspun Yarn

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  4:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
I let my silk sit in the koolaid dye I had for over 24 hrs. I knew the dye was taking because the water was becoming clear.

The Last Thread
Go to Top of Page

laparente@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile Send laparente@yahoo.com a Private Message
I used the prochem acid dyes -- I don't think they are the same as what you are talking about. I didn't have a wetting step, just plunged dry yarn into the dyepot -- but I did cook the yarn a bit, if I remember correctly, it was a hot process.

Anyhow, I only mention this because the acid dyes worked really well, and other dyes, even thoes that were supposed to work on silk, did not work so well. I remember everyone else was using the fiber reactive dyes, and loving them, but they were working on cotton, My professors told me that fiber reactive would work on silk, but all I got was pale tints on tangled yarn (it called for more steps, more stirring, than acid). I got amazingly vivid colors with the acid, no fuss, no muss, no problems.

You may just want to try a different dye.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe