Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Winding yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrspeel
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  09:03:04 AM  Show Profile Send mrspeel a Private Message
When in Ireland earlier this year I purchased some yarn to make a sweater for DH. The owner told me the package contained 4 kilos of yarn. I thought he said 40, but . . . . It weighed under 2lbs (US), anyway, I'm in the process of winding it into balls and the ball is getting huge. Is there a better way to wind into a larger/different shape ball? I'm a new knitter ( 1 1/2 yr) and this is the first time doing this.

ETA - never mind, got my answer.

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  2:02:51 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
i generally like to make a center pull ball and wrap around the edges so it stays flat on the surface of a table (or the floor) and doesn't roll around. looks very similar to the cones of mercerized cotton that are available.
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  7:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message
Related to winding I sometimes have issues winding lace weight yarns. Towards the end of the skein things get tangled easily, so sometimes I get a tangled mess... luckily it's towards the end of the skein, but tangles in lace weight yarns are a pain... is there any way around this. Am I supposed to do something special when winding lace weight yarns?

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message
i believe you could try winding the yarn on a piece of cardboard. russian knitters seem to use cardboard circles wound with their laceweight yarn.
Go to Top of Page

mrspeel
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  3:02:38 PM  Show Profile Send mrspeel a Private Message
I'm currently winding some lace weight yarn from Knitpicks and so far it's not been too bad. I'm doing a prayer shawl so what did get tangled at the end, I'll use for the fringe. Otherwise, it is a pain too unravel. Too bad one just can't knit from the hank!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe