Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 PSSO question...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Little Bit
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile Send Little Bit a Private Message
Hello-

I am a beginner knitter and have a question about a horseshoe lace dishcloth I am about to begin.

On several rows of this pattern, I am directed to "sl 1, K2 together, PSSO". Now the pattern does not indicate whether I should slip knitwise or purlwise.

My question is what would be the best way..knitwise or purlwise, when I slip the stitch? I have read to always slip purlwise unless the directions say knitwise but I just want to be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Little Bit

I have read to always slip purlwise unless the directions say knitwise but I just want to be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

That's it exactly. Slipping a stitch knitwise twists it. You don't always want a twist.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I think it is too bad that so many people have learned that rule about slipping stitch purlwise unless stated otherwise because it causes a lot of confusion once people start lace knitting.

In the "sl1 k2tog psso" the first stitch should be slipped knitwise not purlwise. Some patterns and books will tell you this (like the Shawls and Scarves: Best of Knitters book) but most assume that you already know it. You can watch a video of how it should be done here (scroll down to sl1, k1, psso):

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  08:29:27 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
I'm so glad your question was posted. I have had the same question for more experienced knitters and have gotten a different response from every one of them.

I'm thinking it's best to try it and see what happens. But it would be nice if there really were a rule about slipping the first stitch.
Go to Top of Page

suzeeq
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  08:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Send suzeeq a Yahoo! Message Send suzeeq a Private Message
The thing is, if there's a `rule' that you *always* slip (Xwise), it doesn't necessarily look good in all cases. Some pieces look better if it's slipped purlwise, others knitwise. You just have to decide which goes where

sue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?