Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Gifts Received?
 Best gift GIVEN
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I originally put this in an old thread, then decided it wasn't quite the right spot. This probably isn't, either, but Oh, well - I'm excited about it!

I just got a very nice phone call.
I sent my uncle handknit socks for his birthday (ok, so they were 4 months late, but still.)
First he talked about his first impression - They're beautiful! wow, the stitches are so even they look machine-made, no, wait, how did society get to the point where we think machine made is better, because it isn't... They're so soft!... How long did they take?... Can I machine wash them?... Well, I don't machine dry my socks anyway, the elastic gets all stretched out, so I'd air dry them anyway... Yes, they fit perfectly; I probably won't wear them this week because it's 105 degrees here, but soon, they'll go great with my sandals and khakis.... A good 10 minutes, probably, in admiring conversation for my work.

He'll get more, if he enjoys wearing them.

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  08:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Wow! Great affirmation!
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  08:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
Ooh, good topic.

I think these got the best response (which means, of course, that I now love to knit for her, including a pair os lace scarves for her most recent birthday).

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos, WIPs and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  09:26:57 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
That's a great feeling, isn't it? I got several phone messages from my stepson about the "wonderful," "amazing" socks I made for him. I think its marvelous when the recipient clearly sees it as a gift of love, and really, really shows they appreciate it, like your uncle and my stepson.

Those are very pretty socks, Little Mousling. I would rave over them too, if I got a pair.
Go to Top of Page

bigeyeblue
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  2:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigeyeblue's Homepage Send bigeyeblue a Private Message
I tell ya, when you can find people who appreciate a good hand-knit sock, those are the people you should really surround yourself with.

Eleni

http://www.holyknitbatman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  04:18:51 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
Beautiful sock Molly! Is it your pattern...where did you get it?

There is something about socks...they are so personal and comfy that it is so nice to give/get them. I know I should work on socks for the IL's..but not this year! Next for sure.

I am happy for all of you. It is so darned gratifying and it gives you suck a warm and fuzzy when people love them.

Meribeth
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  04:26:24 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Well I knit a sweater out of an early Rowan pattern book. It was an oversized cardi, but more of a coat sweater. I always wanted to make it, so it was my first sweater. It was in a purple tweed--Rowan Fox Tweed that I got at a yarn shop that was closing. I bought Rowan toggle buttons for it. It turned out splendid, even if it was no longer in style. Then I realized that I would probably never wear it, as we are moving to Alabama, so I wrapped it up and sent it to my sister, who lives in Wisconsin. Purple is her favorite color, and she hates wearing a coat. I thought she might love this sweater and get lots of wear out of it. It is one of those cozy sweaters--big wide cuffs, and a nice collar you can wear up or down flat. I did not tell her about it and mailed it to her. She just loved it! I was more delighted than she was just because of her wonderful reaction. I never knit for myself but do not always get appreciation in return for all the hard work that goes into a knit item.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Kelly, What a wonderful phone call.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by