Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Mistake: tote handle I-cord 3-stitch instead of 5
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  10:30:47 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
It's a big tote so it will hold a lot and potentially get really heavy. I realized the two handles I made for it are 3-st, versus the 5-st I-cord, as directed in the pattern. Do you think I'll have any problem with breakage or anything if I leave it as 3-st?

P.S. I forgot to say it's felted.

go get your smock
Chatty Knitter

328 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  11:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit go get your smock's Homepage Send go get your smock a Private Message
If you have already felted it, well then, there you are! If the straps fail, you can repace them with leather or new straps when and if that day comes.

If not, I'd say it would be worth the effort to frog and do it again. The 3 stitch cord will tend to stretch out more and cut into your shoulder a bit more if carrying a heavy load. Consider that a 5 stitch is 66% bigger!

Diane in Chicago

www.feltedhandbagworkshop.com
Home of the Little Coco Bag
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
oOOps. I haven't felted it yet, but it was painful the first time, because I changed color every 4 1/2 to 5 inches (by spit-splicing). I won't have to spit-splice again for a while, but the colors were so nicely arranged, and I'll have to mess with figuring out when to change colors with the 5-st I-cord, and I'd rather have it sturdier and not likely to cut into anyone's shoulder. Darn my silly mistakes.

Thanks Diane,
Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
The 3-stitch i-cord should be plenty strong, especially once felted.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  5:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
Really felt the bejeezus out of it and I don't think it should be a problem.

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog and FOs
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  6:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
If you're really worried about how sturdy it will be, you might think about threading something through the I-cord tube. I suppose it would be easier before felting, but I seem to recall an earlier suggestion about using nylon monofilament, or some kind of strong cable cord that you could somehow push through the center of the I-cord to reinforce a handle.
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I think it'll be plenty strong enough - however, it might look out of proportion in relation to the bag. I think 3-stitch I-cord can sometimes look wimpy on a big bag, even though strength-wise, it's not. Another suggestion would be to make, gulp, more I cords and then braid them into a more substantial looking strap. Best of luck regardless, Kekokat.
Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message
Kekokat made a valid suggestion - you could make a second I cord and twist the two together. If you tack the cords where the twists 'meet' or cross over, with scraps of wool in the same colour, the handles should felt together and you will end up with a sturdier handle. I did this with my 'b4 bag' as the handles inthe pattern were a bit too skinny for my personal taste but each to their own. Good luck!

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.beadingbernie.blogspot.com (my beaded stuff)
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  8:25:44 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I haven't decided what to do yet - whether to leave it and felt it hard, undo it and make the 5-st I-cord, or make more cords to twist around the ones I've got (there are two handles for the bag). The B4 bag handles are very neat, in my opinion. I have the pattern.

I still have the pockets on the ends to do, and I got less yarn than specified, because I wanted to use fewer colors. I have more of the same yarn of a couple of the colors for another project that I could probably use, though. I have to think about how good it will look, and which colors to use if I knit additional handles. Decisions, decisions. It's an interesting design opportunity/challenge.
Go to Top of Page

SheBer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
421 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheBer's Homepage Send SheBer a Private Message
I think a second i-cord in a different color, and then twisting the two together like craftybernie suggested would be an interesting look.

Sheri
www.theloopyewe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.