Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 Elann Lace Poncho questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  11:56:41 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
I'm working on the Victorian Lace Poncho: http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=90024

I had some trouble with the mini vine lace, and had to rip out that section and restart. I'm now ready to do the edging and I was looking on Elann's forums for tips. I dropped all the increases when I started the mini vine lace, and I read that I was only suppose to drop two of the 4 increases. So I've got a round shawl instead of the 2 points. Is this going to look OK? I'm cringing at the thought of having to rip out the mini vine lace section and redoing it. I'm fine with it looking different from the picture, but I don't want something that will look dorky.

Second question...assuming that it will look OK (just different from the picture), I'm a bit confused about the knitted on edging. The lace pattern works off 11-18 sts. The instructions say to transfere about 30 to a new set of needles and just work with a small number of stitches at a time. If I transfer that many, do I just work with the 11 or so sts the pattern calls for at a time? I'm confused since I'm not transferring in multiples of the stitches the pattern uses. I hope I explained that OK!

Thanks for the help!

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
Don't feel bad, the instructions in the pattern are confusing and the author really doesn't explain how to get the edging started.

The edging is worked perpendicular (sideways to the main body of the poncho) that's why you have so few stitches to cast on. You will be knitting the edging back and forth and attaching it to the main part of the shawl by knitting the last stitch of the edging together with a live stitch from the shawl on the WS rows only. When you are knitting the RS rows of the edging you will be knitting away from the poncho and when you are knitting the WS rows you will be knitting back toward the poncho. That's why you attach on the WS rows.

Cast on the number of stitches required for the lace edging onto a dpn or straight needle of the same size as the needle you used for the shawl using a provisional cast on. Turn the shawl so that the RS is facing you. Place a stitch marker onto the shawl needle and using the shawl needle knit the stitches off of the dpn or straight needle. Keep knitting and forth in the pattern, moving the stitch marker so that it always divides the main live stitches of the poncho from the edging stitches. Make sure that the right side of the edging matches the right side of the poncho.

Forget all that stuff about bowls and moving 30 stitches at a time. That's just needless complication. Leave all the main stitches on the circular needle and the edging stitches on the dpn or use the other end of the circular needle instead of the dpn after you get it started if you wish.

The reason why you need a provisional cast on is because when you get around the circumference of the poncho you will need to graft the two ends together.

One thing is that since the lace edging has an 8 row repeat and you are attaching every other stitch, the total number of live stitches you have should ideally be some multiple of 4. However, you can do some fudging if it isn't.

It is also possible to knit the edging separately and sew it on if that seems less troublesome to you.

Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  08:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
Thanks! I've done a knitted on edge before, but I just didn't understand the instructions with bowls and different needles. Thanks too for the info about making sure my stitches are in multiples of 4. I can plan for any fudging I might need to do. I should be able to forge ahead now! Hopefully the increases I dropped won't make this look awful.

sparkleplenty
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  10:34:50 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I don't know anything about this particular shawl, but I do think that round often looks better than an arrow pointing at one's bottom, so it sounds like a brilliant improvement, as long as it hangs nicely without the extra increases.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:05:50 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I agree with Kelly. I think the rounded edge will look nicer!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe