Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Choosing yarn for elegant afghans
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NettiePur
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send NettiePur a Private Message
Hello,

I am knitting again after 30+ years "away." When I learned to knit, I made numerous sweaters, both cardigans and pullovers, with knitted patterns and color change patterns.

Now I want to knit elegant afghans and baby blankets for my elderly and busy-mom friends as well as for a local children's home. I have a book with beautiful patterns and lovely suggested yarns. The problem is that I want my gifts to be hassle-free for the receivers.

I am afraid that "elegance" is going to be limited if I use only machine washable and dryable yarns, but that would be most practical.

Does anyone have suggestions for 1) beautiful easy-care yarns, and 2) how physically one can most easily "dry flat" a large afghan?

In love with color and texture, I am .....

A New Retiree!!

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  6:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Welcome, Nettie! I think you'll be pleased to see how yarns have changed over the years. You'll find all kinds of beautiful, washable yarns in superwash wool, cotton, and even some of today's acrylics will surprise you!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  9:48:11 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums and so glad you could join our knitting community.

Also welcome back after a layoff of 30+ years.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Your planned afghan sounds wonderful.

Hope you have fun and make many new friends here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  11:38:33 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
There are some nice superwash merino yarns that are machine washable. Baby Ull by Dale is one that can be used for babies or for shawls, etc.

Otherwise, I think the most practical approach would be dry cleaning if you want to use luxury yarns that are not machine washable. There is a nice DK weight version of Zephyr now that is 50% merino wool/50% tussah silk that can be dry cleaned. It is available from Halcyon Yarn:

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/Yarn_pages/yarn028.html
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  09:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
Cascade 220 comes in superwash!!

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  05:32:40 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
there are lots of superwash yarns out there in all sorts of weights - your choice isn't that limited!

A spare bed is probably the easiest way to "dry flat" an afghan.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe