Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Has anyone used the Brother KA-8310 Linker?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krafty-kathy
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  2:37:49 PM  Show Profile Send krafty-kathy a Private Message
I bought the Linker on Ebay thinking that it would make binding off sooo much easier. Well I have followed the instructions in the manual and have had no success at all or even getting it started. If anyone has had experience with this attachment, I would certainly appreciate any hints that might help. Thanks!!!

Kathy

sarah@k_rev
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  11:23:08 PM  Show Profile Send sarah@k_rev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by krafty-kathy

I bought the Linker on Ebay thinking that it would make binding off sooo much easier. Well I have followed the instructions in the manual and have had no success at all or even getting it started. If anyone has had experience with this attachment, I would certainly appreciate any hints that might help. Thanks!!!

Kathy,

Can you explain a little about what's actually happening when you try to work it ?
Try the linker when it's not on the machine, does the handle turn , and can you see the parts underneath moving okay ? You should see a little latch move back & forth against a brush, plus metal parts moving etc.

They are troublesome creatures at times, but you first want to check that yours is complete and ready for use.

Sarah
--
http://www.sarahdurrant.com
Go to Top of Page

krafty-kathy
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile Send krafty-kathy a Private Message
Sarah,

I took a look at the underside of the Linker and everything seems to work like you discribed. The only thing that I can see that might be faulty, is the floppy part of the latch doesn't lay completely flat like the latches of the needles on the machine bed. It doesn't look bent but will not completely close. Could that be the problem?

When trying to engage the linker it says to gently feed the first few stitches into the fabric guide and then push the right side of the slide bar in. I then tried turning the handle but it doesn't seem to get hold of the stiches and almost feels like it wants to click to the right instead of the left. I'm sure that there must be a technique to getting started, but I just haven't found it yet. What do you think?
So sorry that my discription of things aren't clearer, hope that you can catch some of what I mean. Thanks again!!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sarah@k_rev
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  5:48:15 PM  Show Profile Send sarah@k_rev a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by krafty-kathy

Sarah,

The only thing that I can see that might be faulty, is the floppy part of the latch doesn't lay completely flat like the latches of the needles on the machine bed. It doesn't look bent but will not completely close. Could that be the problem?

No - that's how it should be - it has a sprung latch, not like your machine needles.

quote:

When trying to engage the linker it says to gently feed the first few stitches into the fabric guide and then push the right side of the slide bar in. I then tried turning the handle but it doesn't seem to get hold of the stiches and almost feels like it wants to click to the right instead of the left.
Kathy

Try doing a 'dry run', working it without any knitting. Just put a group of needles into the fully forward E position (same as holding position, but without carriage settings to keep them there). Make sure the handle is towards you when sliding it across the bed (R to L) towards the needles, and that the LH bar is pushed right in. It should slide across very smoothly. When you reach to somewhere near (but not on) the working position needles. push the RH bar in very firmly. Sometimes you need to slightly wiggle the linker before that RH bar will push home completely. You need to also make sure the linker is in full contact with the back of the machine, and not tilted forward. It should make a resounding click as the bar is pushed right in! Now turn the handle towards the right, ie, clockwise, and keep turning smoothly. The linker should move across the bed towards the left - you'll see the needles being move back as it reaches them - and once it's passed over all your working position needles, they should now all have been put back into non working position by the linker itself.

If you can't do the above, it sounds like the linker itself is to blame.

If this works okay, then try with a small piece of knitting. Knit the last row of knitting at the LOOSEST tension - so turn the dial right up to 10**. Hang the claw weight at the end of the fabric, but a few rows down, enough so you can get a grip on that piece of knitting above the weight. Then when you've moved the linker across to near the knitting, feed the end of the knitting into it. Once again, you may need to wiggle the linker to get it into just the right position to be able to push the RH bar in. Once you've followed the directions in the book and you're ready to start linking, I actually hold the RHS of the knitting, under the linker needle, pushing the stitches gently against the bed, and also keeping the downward tension of the weight. Link away, moving your hand along the knitting as you go.......

Tell me how you go!

Sarah
--
http://www.sarahdurrant.com
Go to Top of Page

krafty-kathy
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile Send krafty-kathy a Private Message
THANKS Sarah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried some of your tips and along with giving the underside a spray of lubicant, the linker WORKS!!!!!! Hurrah!!!!!! I was getting just a bit frustrated (an understatement) with the thing.
I really appreciate your help....just knowing there is support like you is wonderful!!! Have a wonderful day...I know mine is going to be great too!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  09:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Just suggested to another machine knittner you might want to get in touch with the knitters at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KnitIntl/?yguid=211868154 They're not terribly active, but there appears to be a good knowledge base re machine knitting.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

NancyLK
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile Send NancyLK a Private Message
I also just received the linker today from Ebay. When I tried it several times..it wasn't linking the stitches. I noticed that the slider moved really hard..and when you said there should be a definate click when it is locked on the machine..this one did not. I sprayed the slider with a metal protector that I got from a kniting site. Then slid the slider back and forth and got it to work much better . It is getting late now. I will try it again tomorrow.

Nancy
Winona, MN
Go to Top of Page

dannymak
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile Send dannymak a Private Message
Hi, I'm new and finally found a spage about a new linker i got.
I have this exact linker. and a KH-830 machine. The manual says its fine to use with my machine BUT I'm having issues actually getting it on the machine. It seems to be obstructed by the gate pegs.???
A little part inside wont move over the gate pegs and aligns with them isntead???
Am i doing somthing wrong.
Please help.
thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by