Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Need gift ideas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  10:25:45 AM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
It seems everyone has some great ideas for gifts. The lastest was for the kids...now I need some help, I'm having a mental block

A co-worker did something work related for me and went way out of her way to help and I would like to do something as a "thank you". I want something quick to knit but elegant. (She is a bit more "elegant" than me. She is also involved in the Junior League and all the social functions that includes.) So I was thinking a shawl, wrap made out of some yummy yarn, but I want something quick to knit. I don't want to give it to her many weeks/months from now. I thought some elegant yarn in a simple pattern. I know her well enough to know anything would be appreciated, but her personality isn't the 'sock/hat" type.

Help?

Kristin

"Dogs have masters, cats have servants"

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  10:30:22 AM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message
I just finished making a ponchette from a pattern on Knit Pixie. Now three of my girlfriends are making one too because they loved it! It's pretty fast since it's smaller than a normal sized shawl or poncho and the style is really cute. It's basically a rectangle that you seam together. Instead of seaming it though, I sewed buttons on the side-- cute!
http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1846
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
I just finished a shawl for myself that turned out beautifully and was very, very easy. I used a fine-weight silk and mohair (can't remember the name and of course lost the label but I think it was a total of about 8 oz), and a size 15 needle so the result was very open and airy.

I cast on 16 stitches (so the bottom of the shawl is straight), and knitting every row, increased one stitch at the beginning of every row. When I had about 90 stitches, I cast off and then fringed the edges and bottom.

It took me a weekend to finish this, and I wasn't working like a crazy woman the whole time. All in all, a stress-free project that turned out great. I'd recommend it as a gift.

http://www.kidknits.biz
Go to Top of Page

mands1229
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit mands1229's Homepage  Send mands1229 a Yahoo! Message Send mands1229 a Private Message
Have you considered the airy scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts? I knit 3 of them for Christmas presents and they were all received well. One of them went to my best friend who will be wearing it with business suits, but it could easily dress up many different outfits and lend a feel of elegance to the outfit.

http://kyknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  7:24:47 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kidknits

I just finished a shawl for myself that turned out beautifully and was very, very easy. I used a fine-weight silk and mohair (can't remember the name and of course lost the label but I think it was a total of about 8 oz), and a size 15 needle so the result was very open and airy.

I cast on 16 stitches (so the bottom of the shawl is straight), and knitting every row, increased one stitch at the beginning of every row. When I had about 90 stitches, I cast off and then fringed the edges and bottom.

Any pics? Sounds just what I was thinking...quick easy and yummy.
Kristin

"Dogs have masters, cats have servants"
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I think the shawl is a wonderful idea, as they are very elegant indeed.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  01:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
How about a kerchief - small triangular scarf. Won't take as long to make as a full size shawl but still looks elegant, especially when made in a fine wool or mohair in a simple lace pattern.

Wen

2006 stats: 6 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message
Check out:

www.knittingpatterncentral.com

There are loads of shawls and lacey patterns to choose from and the patterns go from super easy to very detailed.

Good luck in choosing, I'm sure you'll find just the right pattern.

Lora
Go to Top of Page

bcartercps
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  08:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit bcartercps's Homepage Send bcartercps a Private Message
I recently knit several of the Bella scarf from KnitPicks http://knitpicks.com/books/itemid_50423/books_display.aspx - I hope that link works - anyway, it only took 1 skein of their Suri Dream and the finished product is beautiful and elegant.

~Beth
http://diamondsnpurls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  10:44:50 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
I would LOVE to receive a shawl as a gift. I also think the idea of an elegant light-weight scarf is great. If you've seen the book "Celebrity Scarves" (the first one), look at the one that Nora Dunn (from Saturday Night Live) made. She's wearing it with a white blouse -- very simple and elegant.
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  05:54:20 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
Kristin,

You HAVE to see the felted bowls in the new One Skein book. (I've posted all over this forum about them!) I was looking at the book yesterday, and the word I would choose to describe them is elegant. They also look really quick and easy to knit, and the instructions are written for 2 sizes. I need a combo birthday/housewarming gift for a colleague as well, and I'm going to knit these in different colors for her.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe