Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yarns in Brazil?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tsc_knitter
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile Send tsc_knitter a Private Message
I'm going to be taking my first trip to Brazil next month (yippee!) Does anyone know if there are any yarn brands found in Brazil that I should be on the look out for because they are unique or less expensive? Perhaps the Peruvian yarn selection is better there?

yivich
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit yivich's Homepage Send yivich a Private Message
from my experince yarn is pretty crappy in Brazil -- you can find plenty of cottons to crochet with, they have the DMC and Cebelia type cottons on little cones in a million colors. There is also a lot of Pinguin brand yarns available, but almost all of it is 100% acrylic. It's too hot down there for people to knit much with wool/alpaca, and knitting isn't "cool" like it is here. Many people still do more traditional needlearts, like embroidering and crocheting edges onto distowels. You'll see lots of sewing supplies too, but the knitting stuff is pretty awful. I haven't been looking the last couple of times I went, so this is based on info that's probably 5 years old or so -- but my parents live in Brazil so I'm sure my mom would have told me had a nice store appeared selling yarn!

Where in brazil will you be? My family's from Santos, which is the port city near Sao Paulo.

-- Ivete
blog: http://www.knotology.net/
patterns: http://www.chiagu.com/
Go to Top of Page

tsc_knitter
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile Send tsc_knitter a Private Message
Hi Ivete! Thanks for the info! I'm going to Sao Paulo to visit some cousins who I have never met! I've wanted to go my whole life and I can't wait.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe