Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 New Zealand Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gentle One
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send Gentle One a Private Message
One of my co-workers is going to NZ next week and has agreed to bring back some NZ yarn (I'm giving her the money) for me. It will be more of a souvenir skein (or maybe enough for a pair of socks), and has no particular project in mind.

Question--for a souvenir yarn, NZ source yarn/wool, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

LJ

My goal is to become the kind of person my dog thinks I am....

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'd try to get some handspun of a local breed, if I could.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  3:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Touch Yarns and Artisan Yarns are two South Island produced yarns which are really lovely. I think Artisan is mainly laceweight (some beautifully dyed skeins for a lovely lacey scarf) while Touch has a range - mohair, boucle and angora included. These are in a lovely range of variegated colours and have a beautiful handle.

Both are produced in the South Island but, I think, may be available NZ-wide. I know Touch yarns are available in some yarn shops but I think Artisan may be available more from tourist-type shops.

A word of warning - unless your friend is aware of what good handspun yarn is like, be careful. There are some rather inferior handspuns yarns out there for sale!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Gentle One
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  3:37:23 PM  Show Profile Send Gentle One a Private Message
Thank you--she's not familiar with handspun (I just started spinning not long ago, and I'm not yet familiar with the good handspun, since I haven't made any yet!) so we will stick with commercially spun yarns. Now if I had been able to convince her to take me, I'd head for the farms to get my own wool (and then save it until I spin better). But, she's leaving me stateside. Something about my not having the time right now to take off, nor the financial strength to pay for my ticket, room, board, and the 4,000 pounds of wool and yarn I'd be getting....

LJ

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  2:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Oooh, and I completely forgot about the possum yarns and fibres. I think you are able to get some of that in the States but it still may be something to look out for. You can sometimes find rovings which incorporate possum fibre so that may be another possibility.

Don't take me too literally about the handspun - there is some lovely work out there for sale. It is just that I have seen some really awful handspun in a well-known shop which caters for tourists and locals alike. Buyer beware, I guess.

Hope that your friend has a lovely holiday and brings you back some real treasures! Sorry she isn't taking you with her - none of my friends have taken me on overseas holidays, either!

KathyR

Go to Top of Page

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  02:33:53 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message
I would want to get some Teliske Organic Merino. http://www.treliskeorganic.com/cgi-bin/organicshop/perlshop.pl?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=knittingyarns.html&ORDER_ID=%21ORDERID%21

If it weren't for shipping prices I would have already ordered some. I still might!

Mama Bear

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Thanks, Mama Bear for this site. I have never heard of them before!

KathyR

Go to Top of Page

coachrdh
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  03:28:59 AM  Show Profile Send coachrdh a Private Message
Hi,
I am currently traveling on the South Island of New Zealand and have been looking for wool when and wherever I've had the chance. To all of you Kiwi's on KR, what an incredibly beautiful country you live in. The scenery defies description and the people are lovely! Here is what I have discovered so far.....in the Christchurch Art Centre are craft galleries. One of them is a wool and weaving shop run by the Canterbury Guild. They sell Touch yarn by the hank in smooth or boucle and scarf kits ( pattern and yarn) . They also sell finer yarn for lace.

In Nelson I visited several shops which sold hand dyed yarns as well as heavy weight merino.I found fleece sold in packs for felting ( gorgeous) as well as finished products for sale. In Richmond ( near Nelson) in a craft collective called The Grape Escape is a shop selling alpaca/wool blends from a company called Rare Yarns.

We're now in Queenstown and while my husband is doing his thing I plan on scouting for yarn here. I will be happy to share my findings...please just e-mail me.

I must confess I have not seen anyone knitting or carrying a bag with yarn peeking out...but afterall it's summer here. I have been told that Dunedin has several very nice yarn
shops. We won't be stopping there but your friend might be.

My best.
coachrdh (Diane)

Go to Top of Page

Gentle One
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  4:02:41 PM  Show Profile Send Gentle One a Private Message
Thank you, one and all, for all your help. My friend is headed out with ideas galore thanks to you. She will be mainly in the Aukland area, but she had heard that there are some lovely yarn shops nearby, which she will be visiting.

I'll let you know what she brings back!

LJ

Go to Top of Page

Gentle One
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  3:24:08 PM  Show Profile Send Gentle One a Private Message
My friend had a lovely time, and brought me 2 hanks of beautiful 60/40 mohair/merino 2 ply, 50 g each of Touch Yarn. The colorway is very dark gray shading to medium dark, with rich purple shading from dark to medium. I've picked the Baltic Sea Stole pattern to make with it (if I can ever bear to put this yarn out of my hands long enough to wind it!).

Question, though: I don't see on the label how many yards/meters is in each hank, nor can I locate that information on the Touch website. Does anyone know approximate meterage/yardage of this lovely yarn per 50 g?

My thanks to all, again, for your help--I have a beautiful memento of her trip, and an even more compelling desire to visit NZ myself.

LJ

Go to Top of Page

addicted
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  4:14:28 PM  Show Profile Send addicted a Private Message
Hi LJ-

I had the same problem w/ several of the yarns I brough back from NZ - weight but no yardage. I finally deduced the info on one by backing it out of patterns on the brand website... based on that other brand of mohair blend 'knits at 12 ply', I'm guessing that my 100g skein of Touch mohair/merino blend ('Alpine') that 'knits at 12 ply' is around 200 yds...

but I can't find that info anywhere on the Touch site... I'll probably email her & ask when I'm ready to actually do something with this gorgeous stuff...

the other option (what my mom would have called an 'idiot's delight' project) would be to count the number of strands/loops in the skein, then figure out the length of one and multipy...

I'm guessing more experienced knitters will have better ideas. Enjoy petting your new treasure!

- Nancy in Berkeley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?