Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 really need cotton yarn advice!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edenandaverymum
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile Send edenandaverymum a Private Message
I need a white/natural/cream yarn I want at least mostly cotton but 100% natural fibers, not mercernized. I need at least 400grams and don't want to SPEND, but it is a labour intensive project so I should use a yarn that will hold up well andwash/wear well.
PLease give me suggestions about what is appropriate for a summer garment, I am thinking dk-sport-light worsted.

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  7:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
See if you can get your hands on some of the original Mission Falls 1824 cotton which is discontinued but can be found. It is 100% cotton, not mercerized and can go through the washing machine & dryer with no change in size or color and is not expensive. I've used it for lots of baby things. The only thing is that it may be a little heavier than what you are looking for since it knits at 4.5spi on US #7.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  8:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
Just a note: Mission Falls yarns have actually been recontinued- there's a thread about it somewhere in here.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  8:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Mission Falls will be produced by another company under license so I can't recommend until I see it. Could be better, could be not as good, could be the same.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
Here's a link to a previous topic that may be useful:

http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45691&SearchTerms=,cotton

For value, feel and easy care, I like Knitpicks' Shine. It does have tencel, which is a natural, cellulose product from wood pulp.
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  07:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Right now I am knitting with KnitPicks Shine and it seems to be working out okay. I have been working on thsi project for over a month.....ripping out and reknitting all over the place and it is holding up with no pilling.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

amosellie
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  08:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit amosellie's Homepage Send amosellie a Private Message
I made two sweaters this past summer with Manos's cotton Stria. What a WONDERFUL yarn!! And, with it's texture, you can do SS and not see any tension changes. I love it and will make something again this summer!
Go to Top of Page

manning
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile Send manning a Private Message
I made a sweater and a baby blanket out of the Pakucho organic cotton, available on elann.com. This is a really amazing yarn, washable and hardwearing. (see Clara's review of it: http://knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/050609_a.asp )

This yarn is grown in colors, not dyed, and although elann only has a couple colors left, one of them may work.

Go to Top of Page

edenandaverymum
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile Send edenandaverymum a Private Message
thank you thank you. The manos is very nice they ahve baskets full at my lys and I always touch it but I ahve a lot of decorative stitching in my project and not sure it would work out. I love the mission falls too but I really want a lighter weight. I ahve heard the knitpicks shine is PITA to work with but it is still on my list of possibles.

Any thoughts on Jo Sharp's summer soho...or is that mercenized...off to check out elann.
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
I love the Rowan Cashsoft, but it has cashmere and microfiber blended in, doesn't it? It's gorgeous yarn and I love working with it.

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.