Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 newbie sock question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  07:23:11 AM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
I started my first sock a few days ago. I'm kind of using the first pattern in Sensational Knit Socks by Schurch. Her pattern says to measure the circumference of the foot and cast on the number of stitches based on gauge and the foot circ. I noticed that the instructions on KR say to measure the circ of the leg and then take 25% off that number for the circ of the sock cuff. Well, I used the first method and I co 80 using Trekking xxl and #1 dpns. I knit 1 1/2 inches of k2p2 then switched to stockinette st. The sock definitely seems like it's going to be too big. I get about 10 st/in in st.st. I measured my store bought sock and found most to be approx. 7 inches in circumference around the leg. Help! Is the sock going to be too big? Or is it supposed to be like that? Should I start over again with less co stitches? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your expertise. I will add that knitting a sock is really kind of fun. And I love the feel of the knit up fabric.
Sonia

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
My own rule of thumb is to measure my ankle circumference, length of heel ('knob' on the ankle to floor, standing), circumference of foot at 'palm', and length of foot standing on a tape measure. I then do a swatch in the round using my chosen yarn and playing with needle size until I get a fabric I like. Measure that swatch after washing if using wool.

Then I figure my cast-on number by multiplying the gauge (in your case, 10 stitches per inch) by the measurement of my ankle (in your case, that appears to be 8 inches). That will give you the 80 stitches you cast on. But because I like for my socks to fit snugly, I subtract an inch's worth of stitches from my cast-on number. That would give you 70 stitches.

This is the guideline I use most of the time - but I've been known to subtract as much as 2 inches from the cast-on if I think the socks are too loose after knitting a couple of inches. As long as you use a VERY stretchy cast-on you'll be fine.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
Thanks so much for the reply. Very helpful. When you measure your ankle, do you measure at the narrowest part or are you measuring around the knobs?
Sonia
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:42:20 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
My foot and leg can handle 72 stitches on size 0 needles with Trekking (one my very favorite sock yarns), or 64 stitches on size 1.

If it makes you feel better, my first pair of socks didn't fit very well either (too big).

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

knits_for_preemies
Permanent Resident

USA
1957 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knits_for_preemies's Homepage Send knits_for_preemies a Private Message
Here is a "sock calculator" that may help.

http://www.needletrax.com/Sockcalc_download.xls

It calls for your ankle measurement and your gauge. You simply go in the boxes and backspace over the numbers that are there, and put in your own ankle measurement and your gauge. The sock calculator figures out how many stitches to cast on, etc.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  9:56:55 PM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
Thanks so much for the information and help. I decided to frog and start again with fewer stitches. I think my gauge is more like 9 st/inch anyway, so the sock would be way to big with 80 co stitches. One more question. Do you guys use smaller needles when you do the ribbing at the cuff? Thanks again for all the help.
Sonia
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
No, use the same size needles for the ribbing. You don't want it to be too tight.

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

jebrem
Warming Up

60 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:41:14 AM  Show Profile Send jebrem a Private Message
Thanks to everyone for their help. I finished my first sock!!!! I'm so proud and definitely hooked. I'm going to cast on for the second one so that I don't get second sock syndrome that everyone writes about. I ended up co 60 stitches which may be a little small, but definitely better than the 80 that I started with before I frogged. I've got one warm foot and one cold one.
Sonia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?