Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Good Bulky Felting Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pam
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:34:49 AM  Show Profile Send Pam a Private Message
Looking for a good felting yarn, any suggestions? Need a yarn knit on larger needles, aprox. #10. Would Rowan Cork felt? I fould it on sale online.

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  10:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
So far I've felted with Lamb's pride from Brown sheep, a Schaefer Yarn called Miss Priss and Wool Pak (14ply, which is bulky) from Baabajoes and allj felted well for me. In order to felt, as I understand it, the yarn must be wool. I don't know the composition of Rowan Cork, but that would be something to check for. Also as I understand it, if you plan to felt, use large needles -- knit with larger needles than you would normally use. For the Lamb's pride (which was worsted weight) I used size US 10 1/2.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  05:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Normally you want to go up in needle size when knitting to felt - did you mean you want a bulky wool that has a normal gauge when knit of a size 10 needle? Or that you want to knit to felt on a size 10 needle?

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

theblacksheep
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  06:27:28 AM  Show Profile Send theblacksheep a Private Message
Gjestal yarn--it is similar to Lopi yarn. You can also use Lopi. What are you making?
Go to Top of Page

Pam
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:17:24 AM  Show Profile Send Pam a Private Message
I received a laptop for Christmas and wanted to make a knitted protective sleeve or case for it. I saw a pattern in Interweave, but my laptop is larger so I need to make some adjustments. I've never felted before. Not sure how big to make the case initially to allow for shrinkage. Any advise or suggestions would be great. The laptop measures 16" X 12".

Thank you, Pam
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
I'm wearing slipper booties I did from two strands of Patons Classic Merino held together. Used a size 11 needle.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 44, WIP: 2, OH: 1

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
I generally use Cascade 220 or Lamb's Pride worsted(2 strands) for totes. The best way to guess-to-mate the size is to make a swatch using your yarn of choice. Measure it before you felt it. Felt it and then measure is again. Using those measurements you can determine what size to make the "before" bag. Remember you can always get some stretch from the bag, after you felt it and it is still wet.
You may want to search a little on the blogs about the laptop pattern -- as I remember seeing a discussion somewhere that expressed concern about a felted bag for a laptop, because of the static electric nature of the bag. When I first saw the pattern in the mag, my first thought was about the static. My second concern about a felted laptop bag is that isn't going to give you the same cushy protection that you get in a regular laptop bag, where the laptop is in an interior compartment.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bag.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

Pam
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  8:30:22 PM  Show Profile Send Pam a Private Message
Gee, I never thought about statis. Maybe this isn't a good idea after all. I am so thankful for all your concerns. They certainly make sence.

Thanks, Pam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?