Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Another Backyard Leaves Ques, sorry!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:36:18 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I'm starting Backyard Leaves and I know that this scarf has been discussed over and over, but here goes another question. At the edging, when the stitches are slipped with the yarn in front or back, depending on WS or RS, is the stitch slipped purlwise or knitwise? I search through the book and don't see any reference for it.

This seems like such a little thing to stumble on and maybe I'm overthinking the chart. I know that this knit has been a challenge for many so I'm a little nervous about knitting it. I think that I have most of the chart figured out. I've read through the forum's archives and the KAL. They were both very helpful. If I can get past the setup I think that it will go o.k. I am a little worried about row 42 but a cross that hurdle when I get there, if I get there.

Thanks for your help, Carrie

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:55:09 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Purlwise: that way, the stitch is still positioned the same way as the other stitches on the needle, with the right "leg" in front.
Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
I second Kelly -- slip the stiches purlwise.

The bit about whether the yarn is in the front or the back seems strange at first, but it becomes second-nature to you soon.

My only advice: highlight the K2Tog on row 18 and the SSK on row 26--I, among many others, had trouble there because you don't expect those two decreases to be there.

I gave my mom Backyard Leaves for Christmas and she really liked it. It makes a lovely scarf. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Thanks for your help! I'm swatching it right now in Misti Alpaca worsted. Don't know if it's the right yarn for the project, but I love the color and it's soooo soft! Hope that it will hold the stitch definition. I've always wanted a cozy scarf in alpaca.

The chart is a little bizaar when one reads it. Some of the techniques seem backwards. I'll have to knit it through carefully. I always color-code and use my magnetic board to mark the row. Hopefully, that will help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe