Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 It really IS a boy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  4:05:13 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message
Congratulations truly violet, on the arrival of your new charge!! At least there are no diapers involved! I totally get the "spinning wheel as boy" outlook because I have 2 boys in my flock of 8, and then the Schacht I have could go either way don't you know. I have this wheel built by Norm Hall in 1983 and it is just so substantial and the turnings are very restrained and sophisticated, not frilly in the slightest. Made from oak and stained with a warm dark gold. This wheel is A DUDE! I am actually wishing like heck that it would mate with my colonial saxony reproduction and produce me some babies to raise up, then I wouldn't have to spend any more moola to widen my collection. She is an awfully pretty natural blond, afterall. Then, I just got another "fella" a month ago...now he is something else too. He is also circa 1983, got him from e-bay for $200. Didn't mean to buy him, or rather didn't think I had a chance of getting him for the $200 reserve price, but nobody else came along to outbid me (and the seller goofed on the shipping quote and insisted on standing by it, so shipping was $18.43!). Until he actually arrived I was worried that he wasn't going to be as terrific as the pics in his listing led me to believe, I mean, how come no one else bid,? but then we unpacked him and he is pretty awesomely awesome, heavy oak, with a 24" wheel, 5 bobbins, kate, super terrific craftsmanship, nearly as good as the Norm Hall, and a great great spinner with the easiest smoothest treadling. Such a deal! The only thing about him that I am having to get used to is his length. The table is 27" long and the wheel extends to the right of that quite a bit too. His name is therefore Stretch, because he looks like a stretch limo, and I have to strrrretch a bit to touch the wheel with my left hand. It's not difficult, just different. Otherwise I adore this handsome laddie. He was built by D. H. Trevor who I knew nothing about but I was on the phone with Norm Hall the other night trying to solve a problem I have with the wheel HE built, and I was telling him about this wheel and lo and behold he used to know the guy and is going to see if he can't find out what he's up to these days. Doesn't make wheels anymore, Norm says. Anyway, I will have my husband help me with posting pics of these two strapping fellows onto one of his blogs so you can have a place to view them, and you can see what I mean about their seething hormones!

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I wanna see them

vi
who is thinking this wheel IS a boy.....
it is finally settling down but I gotta pet it alot

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  9:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Fabulous name!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Yes, PLease.. let's see good ol' Stretch!
Wonder if he'll have his 'moody times'
I often think that my wheels get 'attitudes' if I leave them alone for too long!

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by