Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 selling my projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighestPeak
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send HighestPeak a Private Message
i am one who thinks about how i can make money in everything i do ,and i would like to know how i would go about starting a buisness selling my projects.please help!!!!!

GailnCocoaBeach
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:07:01 AM  Show Profile Send GailnCocoaBeach a Private Message
Alot of my customers take their items to their hair salons, local boutiques, to work and the arts & craft shows.

gail

Welcome to my Happy Little World
Go to Top of Page

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
I would cost out how much you'd actually have to charge for your projects first and see if it makes sense a fun fur scarf should be at least $22 (cost of yarn plus 2 hours labor at $8/hour)...anything more than that and I think that people might not be willing to pay (the market wouldn't bear it price, in business speak :) For example, a sweater could easily run you up above $250...and that's not even including your time to market or research where to sell - production costs only! And think about scalability...what if you got three sweater orders in for one month...?

That said, could teaching or working at yarn store be another way to capitalize on your love of knitting?

http://sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  2:40:18 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
Been there, done that....never again. People don't appreciate nice yarn and what it costs much less the value of your time. I refuse to use cheap, ugly stuff, and I'd rather knit for charity than feel I can't charge what something's truly worth. I tried selling my items at a craft boutique, and it was a disaster. The other tables that were selling knitting were doing a little better, and when I saw the prices I found out why. Upon questioning the knitters they explained that they only charge enough to cover the materials.(???) This was not a charity thing either. I just didn't get the point. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  05:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
You need to do a lot more work first - Start with Google, and see what the prices are for the style, size, and material content of the bags you are making. Then factor in your time, material costs, packing, shipping, and postage costs, and pattern costs (most if not all free and printed for purchase patterns will NOT allow you to sell the finished item for profit, meaning you will likely have to make up your own patterns.)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Create a label for your products to make them look more professional to the consumer. I'm not saying that they don't already, but usually those women who buy in the justified price range you should be charging; are very label consious even if it is an "unknown".

Do the research prior to making an appointment with a boutique [I'm not talking church bazaars here]. Can they support your pricepoints? Do they carry similar product and how is yours different? Does your product mix well within their other products?
Then take your product and approach your very up-scale retail stores. Ask to make an appointment with the buyer. In describing your product prior to appointment, use phraseology that doesn't sound "Loving Hands at Home". Individually designed and created,for example.

Go with a wholesale price list, and clear descriptions and pictures keeping in mind that they will mark up at least double if not more. If they are a multiple store boutique, they are going to want duplicate merchandise for all stores. Will you be able to keep up with production on a timely basis?

Be extremely careful that you are not copying someones copywrited designs- you could find yourself in a lawsuit.

Do not sell yourself short. these are just some things to consider. I have friends that have successfully sold product in this manner.
You could also knit for a boutique exclusively.

Hope this is helpful, KL
Go to Top of Page

risingfawnfiber
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit risingfawnfiber's Homepage Send risingfawnfiber a Private Message
Good for you - the world needs more fiber artists! What type of products do you make?
Check out your local art association. They might have a listing of venues/galleries/boutiques who are interested in your products. If you join, they could make your information available to customers who commission special projects. They will also provide you with information on upcoming art shows to enter. Be sure you check out the gallery/show to make sure the quality of the other artwork meets your standards.
I did this for several years, met tons of great people - both fellow artists and customers, made a decent paycheck, and enjoyed it!
BMcKaig
www.BrendaMcKaig.com

Brenda McKaig,
Rising Fawn Fiber Studio
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth