Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 getting from a spool to a ball
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  05:03:07 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Do I want a swift? A niddy noddy? A chair back? I got some wool on a cone and the salesperson said if I washed it it would get nice and soft, so I need to make skeins. But once it's softened, I want to make it into balls. A ball winder? I'm not sure what my next level of tools should be.

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  05:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
You want a niddy noddy or a swift or a skein winder.

The niddy noddy is significantly cheaper, and may tire out your arm. You could wind it onto the niddy noddy, then was the hank, then wind it into a ball by hand. This way you're looking at under $20 in tools (my beautiful fancy Kromski Niddy Noddy cost I think $15).

A swift or skein winder and ball winder will run you around $100 or more, but they do what the niddy noddy and your hands do much more quickly, more evenly, and without tiring you out.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  06:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
From the cone to a swift. From the swift, tie in at least 3 spots, wash. Hang to dry. When dry, back to swift. From swift to ball winder.

When my ball winder died, DH bought me a new one. That was when DH got tired of "helping". Then came the swift. Wow, it is wonderful and worth every penny. So many yarns come in hanks now, besides the endless cones of yarn I have! I don't mind knitting straight from the cones, if it dosn't need washing first.

Go for it, splurge! You won't regret it!

Schoolhouse Press has a swift for $37.00 and a ball winder for 36.95. That is the cheepest I could find. They are also the same ones I have and use all the time. http://www.schoolhousepress.com/Tools/tools.html

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
Thanks! Now I guess I'll see how much money is left at the beginning of the year -- property taxes here are due in mid-December -- can you believe it?
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  1:49:03 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What about just going right from the cone onto a ball winder? Only one tool needed and the winder is smaller than a swift.

Property taxes? We pay ours monthly via direct withdrawal right from the bank account - easy and painless and it's not a huge amount all at once.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?