Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Scarves
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  2:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message
Well, I think this is the most appropriate forum for sharing this.

It was my boyfriend's birthday a few weeks ago, and I had thought a lot if I should knit him a simple scarf. You see, I have knit a scarf for my brother last fall and he saw it (we weren't dating back then) and LOVED the scarf. I was surprised, really, with how much he loved the scarf. He even joked I could pay him (on a bet I lost) by being his official knitter.

I finally decided against knitting him a scarf, because I was afraid he wouldn't like it if it was a surprise, and if I asked him about what kind of scarf he would like, he would probably tell me that I didn't need to give him a present. I gave him a small present instead and surprised him by going to his office in the morning. He was happy, so I made the right choice!

Funny thing is: last week I finished my mother's scarf (a lacy feminine scarf, Branching Out, from Knitty), and by lunchtime I showed it to him. He immediately put the scarf around his neck, and even though I commented it was a feminine scarf he didn't take it off until I asked!

I will ask him someday if he would like me to knit him a simple scarf. If he says no, I won't mind. There's plenty of other people to knit for!

TGZ

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com

knittingdiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

394 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingdiva's Homepage Send knittingdiva a Private Message
I say knit the boyfriend a scarf!

If he doesn't like it, you learn what he does like, he still gets a surprise, and he doesn't feel like he has to ask. I only say that because I found out my best friend wanted me to knit her a scarf, but didn't want to ask, since she knew how much time it takes to make one (she was also my roommate). I didn't want to knit her something she hated, since I knew she'd wear it anyway (since I saw her every day). I left a few patterns around and she commented on a few and then I knit up a scarf...a little long on the communication peice, but I got to knit for her and she liked her scarf. If she hadn't liked it, I would have kept it for myself! :)

http://sometimesatypical.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Take him to the yarn shop with you next time you go, and let him pick out the yarn and pattern. Better yet, get it going, and then hand him the needles and say "you try!"

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  8:26:54 PM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Before I got married, I knit my fiancee two scarves and a hat. I had him help me decide what colors he wanted them to be (he actually bought me the yarn for the first scarf I made...and it was my first project!). Just recently we got married and are happier than ever. So, I say, just make the bloody scarf. It worked for me!

-Sarah

No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knitting_physicist

Before I got married, I knit my fiancee two scarves and a hat. I had him help me decide what colors he wanted them to be (he actually bought me the yarn for the first scarf I made...and it was my first project!). Just recently we got married and are happier than ever. So, I say, just make the bloody scarf. It worked for me!
-Sarah

Maybe you're right. Today at lunch I was talking to a friend who is a knitter, and my boyfriend was there too. And I was talking about how I have too many sweaters (store-bought, mostly) and how that was a shame because I could not justify handknitting more sweaters. And he (not a knitter) said: "No, you should keep knitting them, so that you keep the practice, don't forget the technique and learn more things. Surely one day they will be needed!"

I hope things work out between us. I already loved him before he showed this appreciation for my knitting, but now I _adore_ him.

Have a nice year,

TGZ

P.S.: By the way, we both are physics grad students...

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
This is such a cute story.. and I too agree you should knit him a scarf! If he took a lacey feminine scarf and wouldn't take it off untill asked.. he'll love anything you knit *just for him*.. SO cute!!!

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

iluvdeftones
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  4:27:06 PM  Show Profile Send iluvdeftones a Private Message
I agree. He is obviously taking an interest in the scarves you have already knit. It sounds like he will definately like anything you make him because it is made by you with love.

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-Lewis Carroll
Go to Top of Page

knittingkeri
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:37:15 AM  Show Profile Send knittingkeri a Private Message
I have asked mine "oh Erik, please let me knit you a sweater. A hoodie, a zip hoddie. Warm, cozy wool in dull gray, your favorite." He says, "No." I say "Why". He says, "I hate yarn, it taks up space that could be used for clothes in my closet"

May all of your days be as blessed as those I wish for myself,
Keri
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  11:51:39 AM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Keri...maybe you should convince him that you need some sort of better yarn storage device to get the stuff out of the closet. A nice large basket that you could leave in the living room or something. Maybe he would change his mind then!

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

knittingkeri
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  10:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send knittingkeri a Private Message
Are we talking like those beautiful large hand made wicker baskets? The 4 ft tall ones you can buy on the reservations? Because I'd need at least 6. I'm a yarn ho. Hate to admit it, but it is true. I prostitute myself for the yarn. I say, "Honey, have I tol you how much I love you lately? .... And how much I love the new closeout on WEBS?"

May all of your days be as blessed as those I wish for myself,
Keri
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.