Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Please help me identify this needle...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

laura_parent@yahoo.com

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit laura_parent@yahoo.com's Homepage Send laura_parent@yahoo.com a Private Message
My favorite circular needle is size 10.5 and made out of purple plastic. The cord is purple too. I love (love is not a strong enough word) this needle. More than my Addi Turbos. More than my bamboos. More than anything! So much, in fact, that I try to knit everything with them, even though I have Addi Turbos in most sizes.

But I only have the one size, and I don't know what brand it is. Does anyone know who made purple plastic circular needles? I've had them for years, and I have no idea where I bought them.

Your help is deeply appreciated!

Laura

Scooter Knits
http://scooterknits.typepad.com/

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  05:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Is it a Susan Bates "Circulon" needle? Plastic/nylon? I have a few of them, and sometimes wish I had more because they are flexible and have a great pointy point. I think you can get them on e-bay. Thing is, I've never seen a purple one, just pink and blue and white, so I may be wrong about yours!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  07:03:42 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I believe Jane is correct. Cirlculon is a nylon needle that is a lot of older knitters favorite but almost impossible to find.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have an assortment of those needles which I bought more than 20 years ago. They are nylon and they don't have a join so there is nothing for the yarn to catch on and you can knit smoothly.

The Addis also have no join which is what people like about them and I'm guessing the Inox circs are the same, never having used them. I just bought a couple of Holz & Stein circs in ebony and rosewood and they too have no join, unlike the Suzanne's ebony and the Crystal Palace bamboo which have an annoying metal join.

If you want plastic the new Bryspun circs are modelled after the old Bates nylons and have no join. The first shipments resulted in the needles separating from the tips but supposedly the problem has been rectified. Elann sells them. I haven't tried the circs but I like Bryspun straights and dpns.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

laura_parent@yahoo.com

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  07:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit laura_parent@yahoo.com's Homepage Send laura_parent@yahoo.com a Private Message
I bet it is a Susan Bates. I remember it was cheap. It does have a nice pointy point. I'm going to have to start surfing ebay for more.

I bought a Bryspun needle and used it for 1/2 a baby blanket before it split at the join. I liked it up until then. Unfortunately, I bought it on vacation, so I couldn't return it.

Laura

Scooter Knits
http://scooterknits.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jewles
Chatty Knitter

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:41:48 AM  Show Profile Send Jewles a Private Message
I think that sounds like the Susan Bates Circulon as well. I have several that I bought when I was learning to knit in college. I love them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe