Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 choosing appropriate hook size?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

love2stamp
Chatty Knitter

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit love2stamp's Homepage Send love2stamp a Private Message
Okay, so. I've crocheted for years, but it was always the "mom taught me some things, and I ran with those" method. For the most part, I wasn't really sure what I was doing. In the meantime, I've knitted for about 2 years now, but now I also want to grok crochet.

So, here's the thing. I thought the Turkish Treasure scarf in "Scarf Style" looked really cool, and I can handle single crochet, no problem. The yarn called for in the pattern wasn't really available to me, so I substituted. I chose something completely different, and I've worked with it a bit, but BOY is this scarf curling up. The scarf is worked horizontally, and the top and bottom are curling in. I wonder if I've been using the wrong hook size - I looked at the gauge on the label, which of course was aimed at knitters. So I picked a hook that was the same mm as the recommended needles, but maybe that's not right?

OR....what just occurred to me is that I know I tend to knit tightly, so when I'm swatching for knitting, I usually end up one or two needle sizes larger than what the pattern or yarn label recommends. So perhaps I also crochet tightly, and should gone up a hook size or two, and maybe it's the tight crochet that's causing the curl? I know I've crocheted large blocks of fabric before (e.g., kitty blanket), and they don't curl, but honestly, NO IDEA on how I picked a hook.

I know that was long-winded, but anything anyone can say might help me out here. The yarn I'm using is Rowan Wool Cotton, and I used a 4mm hook.

Thanks-
Emy

Been there, done that, blogged it... http://eyow.livejournal.com

needlestohook
Warming Up

68 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit needlestohook's Homepage Send needlestohook a Private Message
Hi Emy,

I think I can help you out, but I need to see the scarf pattern you are having trouble with. Is it possible for you to send it to me in through a private message? I hope we can work something out.

Yours in Christ,
Rebekah

Merry Christmas everyone!
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  05:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Er, she can't send you the pattern, as it's in a book, and copyrights are involved here.

Emy, I think you are right in that if you go up a size or two, the curling should lessen. It may not stop it, but there is always blocking. If I recall I had to go up one size when I made that scarf. Swatch, and see if you like the drape before and after blocking. And post a picture when you're done, I never got a pic of mine before it went (it was a custom order for a customer), been itching to crochet something for a while, maybe I'll give this scarf another whirl :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
Did you do your gage? I have Knitted for years and I crochet all the time....I never do a gage, but that is just me. I usually say if you are using a yarn that is thinner that the weight recomended I use a smaller hook in order to prevent holes or and Larger with a thicker yarn. The best yarn to crochet with EVER it diana....I love to crochet with that, it always comes out beautiful. I just crocheted a sweater for my dog and she loves it. Hope this helps, if you have any questions you can just email me or PM me....

~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
So many projects, so little time!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingkeri
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:42:02 AM  Show Profile Send knittingkeri a Private Message
I think that if you knit tightly, you probably would crochet tightly, even more so maybe. I knit very loose, I have to drop at least 2 needle sizes to get a good gauge. Even then, I have to go up a size in crochet hooks because it does not drape properly. (Caron simply soft recommended size 4.5mm (8): i knit on 6's and crochet on an I(5.5mm, size 9). Hope this helps!!!

May all of your days be as blessed as those I wish for myself,
Keri
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  09:21:38 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message
Your foundation row might be tight too. I tend to start with a tight foundation row and so I get some curling from that.

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?