Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 $10 shipping for 6 sk of yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  1:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
For 6 balls of 171 yds DK acrylic yarn. I ordered some from a yarn store in Ohio, based on a phone # that one of my fellow KR followers gave me. I actually didn't ask how much shipping was, my bad. But doesn't that seem a little high? They could have used Express Mail for $3.85

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
What was the actual postage charge on your envelope/package? Add a couple dollars onto that and it would be a fair price.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  2:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
sounds like expensive shipping to me. Did they send it Fedex or something?

Some shops only charge you what it costs them. Others, guess it is something they need to add more to to cover costs.

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
and some only charge shipping if it is a small order. You need to check the shipping policy with the shop whenever you have something shipped. You never know it could be shipped free if you buy over a certain value or a certain amount.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  02:32:38 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Many shops charge a flat fee no matter how little or how much you buy. This can be great, but not if you only want a small amount. I assume this policy is to encourage you to buy more but there must also be fixed costs in there as well as the variable postage, no? Time for wrapping, materials, trip to post office etc. All adds up, and for a small shop (?) on narrow profit margins these costs have to be covered.

Having said all this I do agree it does seem a bit high but as you say, it pays to check first.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
I called the shop to inquire, and it turns out she charged me too much for the yarn! Not the shipping! I bought the yarn on sale and she charged me full price. She is going to credit my account.

I thought it sounded a little high...

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Carie, glad it worked out for you!

As mom is a powerseller on ebay, we know that shipping costs are more than just postage. You have to account for labels, bubblewrap, peanuts, and tape - all of which cost money. And your time in packaging is not free. That aside, mom usually does not charge for shipping over the costs of postage, but writes it off instead. Does this always work out for her? No, but the other side would be people complaining over the costs. It's a fine line to walk (sorry, had to throw a Jhonny Cash term in there, the movie was great!) but most shops are not out to gouge you on shipping :)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message
Thanks, Ewe, for putting it that way. I appreciate that the oness of every tiny component of the process is on the seller. As it was, they only charged me the Priority Mail costs, so they must have a similar outcome to your mother.

Carie

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

tortadetortuga
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortadetortuga's Homepage Send tortadetortuga a Private Message
Priority mail used to be my shipping choice, but the costs have doubled in the last few months. $3.85 is now just the flat stiff envelope labeled "flat rate", and it "cannot deform the packaging." The small box is $7.70. And it just doesn't seem to get there as fast anymore.

On my site I have a flat $5 fee for orders under $75 and free from there on out, anything else just seemed way too high and I haven't figured out a shipping calculator program that I like. It usually doesn't come close to covering the shipping costs, let alone time and packaging, but I chalk it up to building the business rep and hope that my margin will cover it. The shipping calculator is a high priority for me though. As Irish Ewe says, it's a fine line. We're not in business to make a loss (my husband doesn't make enough money for us to need to lose money ;)) but the competition is pretty stiff in this expanding market.

http://lanasdelibelula.com
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
With the price of gas these days, wear and tear on my car, and my travel time on top of it, I'm more than willing to pay reasonable costs for shipping (and handling),and I would consider that amount to be reasonable.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe