Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 Shall I knit you a hat - a Christmas yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:47:37 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
This is a Children's book by Kate Klise that was published in 2004. Little Rabbit loves his new hat that his mom knit for him so much, he asks his mom to knit all his animal friends some hats for Xmas presents (I especially love the one for the deer's antlers). What some knitters might enjoy is that the hats are recieved with little enthusiasm until the animals are caught in a snowstorm and realise how their custom-designed hats keep them warm and protected. Then they just love them and finally nappreciate the Rabbits generous spirit.

Anyway, I just love this book (I'm reading it at StoryTime today) and I just thought I'd let people know about it. Check it out at your local library or bookstore!

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I love this book, too - I received it for Christmas last year. No small children here, but DH just thought I'd enjoy it, and I do.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:00:35 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
How sweet of your DH!

My kids are grown and no grandkids, but I collect good children's books that have fiber arts and fine arts connections. I sneak them into StoryTime. Before Halloween, I do a unit on spiders and for that I have a story about a spider that knits ("Sophie's Masterpiece" by Eileen Spinelli)
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
I read or heard (can't remember now) an interview with the sisters who wrote and illustrated the book. They were so cute together -- I guess they've been writing and illustrating together since they were little! I want to check it out.

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I collect children's stories about fiber too - Sophie's Masterpiece makes me cry it's so beautiful! I don't have Shall I Knit You A Hat... yet....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
Oh, Rose, I would love to know what other books you have. Is there anyone else out there that collects children's books about fiber? And if so, what titles do you have?

I can get all choked up at the ending of Sophie's Masterpiece, too. Plus, the illustrations are well done (how can you not like a spider wearing a beret that knits herself stockings! And sometimes, I think 2 take too long - the thought of 8 humbles me)
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
There was a thread on this earlier and I cannot find it now. Here are some of the fiber books that I have: Red Berry Wool - Robyn Eversole, Safe Return - Catherine Dexter ( based on a true event - probably for 3rd - 4th grade and up), Argyle - Barbara Brooks Wallace ( sheep grows plaid colored wool), Milly, Molly and the Secret Scarves - Gill Pittar, Knitted by Grandma - Ruth Hearson, Grandma's Yarn - Lynne Pickavance, With Love from Grandma - Harriet Ziefert, Weaving the RAinbow - George Ella Lyon, Amos's Sweater - Janet Lunn, A Symphony for the Sheep - C.M. Millen, Tje Red Wolf - Margaret Shannon, Farmer Brown Shears his Sheep - Teri Sloat ( fun book - the sheep keep following their fleece and Farmer Brown finally realizes they are cold so he knits them sweaters), The Mitten - Jan Brett, Derek the Knitting Dinosaur - can't remember the author ( Derek's brothers make fun of his knitting until the ice age comes and he has sweaters for all) and Boys Don't Knit - can't remember this author either.
Hope this helps. I'm always happy to find additional titles to add to my collection.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Boys Don't Knit = Janet Schoop
Derek the Knitting Dinosaur = Mary Blackwood

There's Pete the Sheep-Sheep (by Jackie French) about a sheep who does the work of a sheep-dog, so he's a sheep sheep!

Here's the link to the other thread about children's books: http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45228

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?