Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Looking for Healthy Low-Fat Dessert Recipe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I have a horrible sweet tooth that pushes me to eat all kinds of sweets. My favorite it pie b/cI love cooked fruit. So I thought I'd see what if anyone had recipes they used to healthily satisfy thier sweet tooth.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is exactly what you are looking for. I substitute artificial sweetener for the sugar and adjust the spices to my family's favorite taste. It not only makes its own crust, it tastes good. I'm a diabetic and when made with sweetener and without the streusal, 1/6 of the pie equals one starch exchange and 1 fat exchange, or in other lay people's terms a slice of bread and butter.

fran

http://en.belgourmet.be/world_recipes/Apple_recipes/impossible_apple_pie.php

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  1:07:23 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If your favourite thing about pie is the fruit, why not try compote?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  1:28:06 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Do you have fruit fools across there? Basically this is cooled stewed fruit, sweetened to taste with sugar then mixed with an equal volume of whipped cream. Traditionally not healthy, but if you use zero fat greek yoghurt and sweetner it`s very healthy and delicious.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  2:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
I substitute with Splenda in all my baking. It really does taste just like sugar. I have also tried subbing (I don't think that's word) soy flour for part of the white flour called for in cookies. You can only sub partially but it does help to add protein and eliminate carbs. I feel I should also tell you that I'm not a health nut. I wouldn't use it if it made my sweets taste different.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  3:15:50 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
You need to be careful about Splenda when making meringues or anything with whipped egg whites as the main leavening agent.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:19:52 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
I found a fantasitc low-fat low-sugar cheesecake. It's fantastic!

I made it for some friends for a dessert evening, and they didn't even realise it was was diet version. Even though I had told them a couple of days earlier that's what I was bringing.

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:29:42 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
My favorite easy snacky-dessert is as follows: two boxes of fat-free/sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix, about 3/4 of the milk required (skim, or fat free half and half if you want to be decadent!) and a small can of plain pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling.) Add pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon to taste and mix thoroughly. It satisfies the pumpkin pie craving, has the creamy mouthfeel, has the nutrients of pumpkin, but is not heavy on the calories. A dollop of whipped cream or substitute and a gingersnap are good if you are indulging. :) I think this is an old Weight Watchers recipe...can't take credit.
Go to Top of Page

Tarana
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tarana's Homepage Send Tarana a Private Message
I get no-sugar, make-it-yourself pudding, made with 1% milk and add fruit to it. Also consider adding flavorings. Vanilla pudding with maple flavoring is pretty yummy. I often add sliced bananas or sliced frozen strawberries (they thaw).

This works with skim milk as well. I have tried homemade versions of pudding but just can't get the sweetness right with artificial sweetener. I'm going to practice while housesitting (as the eggs make the pudding also more nutritious than instant).

Stephanie

Finished (2005): Felted Knitting Bag
Current Projects: Banff Sweater, Plain rolled sweater (purple); ladybug afghan, Homespun shawl
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  8:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Baked apples are delicious, and not too bad for you, and so easy. Everyone has their own favorite method, but I like coring the apple, adding a bit of butter, pecans, and a bit of brown sugar. If you go easy on the sugar and butter, its a hot, sweet, filling treat that has the same satisfaction of an apple crisp. YOu can either bake it in the oven, or do it in the microwave.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by