Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Clothing for Babies and Children
 Free Pattern : Baby Viking Hat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  04:52:11 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
Brilliant .

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65745.0

Free pattern maniac

http://purl-drops.blog-city.com

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Awwh; that's adorable. I also liked the idea of blond braids for a valkerite (sp?).
Go to Top of Page

Manicgirl
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
203 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manicgirl's Homepage Send Manicgirl a Private Message
Haha, that's too cute.

And may I just take this moment to remind everyone that the Vikings didn't wear horns on their helmets?

Tina - always a party pooper...

Tina
(My blog: http://ulltopia.typepad.com/wooltopia)
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
well - not in battle - and not all of them - but the following excerpts from the 'Straight Dope' site shows there was some evidence for the concept.

"Historical and archaeological evidence indicates that priests among the Norse and earlier Germanic peoples did wear headgear with horns"

"Archaeological finds, all but one of which date from the ninth century B.C. to about the seventh century C.E., back them up on the horn thing, but only to a degree. The ancients implied that such helmets were used in battle, but a ceremonial use is more likely. The finds consist mostly of images from rock carvings, horn carvings, coins, engraved metal objects, etc. A few actual horned helmets have been found; most are Germanic helmets from Denmark, but one is a Celtic model dredged from the Thames"

" two Bronze Age horned helmets unearthed at Viksų, Denmark sport long twisting horns made of metal. The Thames helmet to my mind suggests an ancient priest who got drunk enough to think it was a good idea to wear Madonna's cone bra on his head."

And at least the Viking horned helmet myth can't be liad at the feet of Hollywood movies - since "European artists had begun portraying ancient (pre-Viking) Germans wearing horned helmets as early as 1616, on the authority of the ancient writers. Since the ancients weren't clear on the ceremonial purpose of the helmets, they were often used in battle scenes. The use of horned helmets in German heraldry during the Middle Ages can probably be attributed to the same authors."

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Right on.

viking hats all around for Christmas.

One for DS with horns.
One for DD with braids. brown with a bit of red!
One for DH with well horns. Because every good man needs a set of horns, put there by his wife! (Just kidding, would never cuckold him, he is too sweet. Besides, cuckolding would take more effort than just taking care of him.)

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

ladybug
Chatty Knitter

Canada
101 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send ladybug a Private Message
This is GREAT. Going to make one for a 6 month old. I was looking for something different as he's a third child and I've already made neat things for the other two. Thanks for finding and sharing this.
Go to Top of Page

WalkersMom
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  8:36:38 PM  Show Profile Send WalkersMom a Private Message
I saw that on Craftster and made it immediately for my soon-to-be 2 year old son. It is super easy and fast. I did not make the bobbles,I just can't figure them out. I have a booblephobia. Anyhoo, it is so freakin funny I can't stand it. I am also the creative genius that suggested the braids! I was commissioned by a male co-worker, who ski's often, to make him one with braids to wear on the slopes. I so need a picture of that.

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
For the record, those are not bobbles, or boobles. They are rivets. It says so in the pattern, K7, Make rivet.

I made this for DD, but it was apparent that my gauge was not what was specified in the pattern, but closer to DS size.

I am now making a smaller version for DD, with shorter horns, and eventually braids.

DS loves the hat BTW.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

sweetcaroline
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send sweetcaroline a Private Message
I made one for my boss for Christmas. It turned out huge, but he has a big head. I hope he likes it. My ds now wants one, but my husband has a problem with anything that resembles a rival football team?? He's a Rams/Chargers fan. :(
Go to Top of Page

WalkersMom
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  8:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send WalkersMom a Private Message
I just assumed that "rivet" meant the same as bobble. So funny, I just read right over it! I may have to try the rivet and slowly lead into bobbles.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe