Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Brand discrepancies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:20:59 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message
I've been working on a project using size 6 needles and decided to switch to a circular to more easily accommodate the number of stitches. When I checked the circular needle it measured out between sizes and according to my needle gauge it didn't match the size 6 hole, which the straight needles fit. Size 6 on the needle gauge is marked 4.25 mm and the circular is labelled 4 mm.

This is the first time this has happened and I've often switched back and forth between straights and circulars on a project, or between circulars and DP's. I always use the gauge to check the size because circulars and DP's aren't marked. Maybe in the past I ignored this slight discrepancy. I'm wondering how much difference it would really make in the stitch gauge.

I'll be returning this and buying a different brand, just curious if anyone else has had this experience. It is Susan Bates brand.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
My Clover straights and Plymouth bamboo circs are 4.25mm/US#6 but my others, including Lantern Moon and Aero straights, Swallow Casein and Susanne Ebony dpns, and Susanne's Ebony circs are 4.0/US#6. For most yarn it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference which ones you use for #6 but I would try to avoid using 4.0mm and 4.25mm in the same project.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:07:49 PM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
And as I said elsewhere not long back...watch out for needle sizes in foriegn patterns. Our old Imperial UK needles weren`t exact metric sizes either, so like traditional USA needles the sizes got rounded up or down to the nearest mm equivalent. And guess what? They didn`t always get rounded the same way.

And of course we now get made-to-exact-measurement metric needles...

Check on the needle gauge and swatch, that`s the only solution. Assuming your needle gauge is accurate, of course, and you`re not using some relic of your granny`s!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  7:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
4.25mm is not a standard size outside the US. Therefore Aero, Milward, Swallow etc will be 4mm as that is the standard throughout the world (the next size up being 4.5mm)

BTW .25 mm can make a difference. For DK weight on 4mm I get 22 stitches/10cm; on 3.75mm I get 24st/10cm.

Val, I've never noticed any problems with UK sizes; although we could only get Milward and Aero here before we went metric.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  7:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Addis even sell their own gauge for their needles specifically.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?