Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Shop owners and aspiring businesspeople
 How to become a yarn rep?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avstrom@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  12:45:28 PM  Show Profile Send avstrom@aol.com a Private Message
Can any of you point me in the right direction? I'm interested in changing careers and would love to be a yarn rep. With the burgeoning population of knitters and an increased number of knitting shops maybe some manufacturers need more representatives out there. Or maybe some of the cottage industry folks would like to broaden their markets. What do you think? Any suggestions for me? Thanks a bunch!

Amy

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message
I've asked this question before, too. Does anyone know anything? No one seems too interested in giving much advice on this topic.
Help! I must find a way to someday make money from my passion without taking out a loan to open a yarn shop (You LYS owners don't really want more competition, do you?!?)
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Logic says get in touch with a distributor and ask. LYSes should know how to reach the distributors.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

knittynoddy
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  10:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittynoddy's Homepage Send knittynoddy a Private Message
Lissa is right. And if walking into the yarn store to ask is not a good choice for you, then you should be able to find the distributor contact info in the back of any of the knitting magazines. As a yarn rep you will need to do cold-calls, so practice by starting with the distributors!
Evelyn

Actually, now that I think about it - if walking into the yarn store to ask is not a good choice, then being a yarn rep. is not a good choice for you either...
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  4:17:23 PM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
As romantic a job as a rep sounds, it can be pretty stressful. It is not just a case of calling on LYS. Be prepared to work on commission only, to have a monthly quota, to be expected to open new accounts- a certain amount quarterly, a daily sales goal. All of this will be closely monitered; and in especially a potentialy soft season. The softer the season, the more they are on your back.
Do not do it without a contract with EVERYTHING spelled out CLEARLY!
Research those companies you are interested in and get referrals from ex-reps[if you can].
Check into some of the burgeoning smaller companies that don't have representation in your area. Sometimes helping a line develop can be a good thing.
I'ts OK to ask questions- Where is the business going? What % of increase do they expect to do in the upcoming year. If they do not want to disclose financial info to you- see if they are listed with Dun and Bradstreet and what info you can glean from them. What are their return policies? You get the picture. If they respond like you are infringing on their company information policy, you may want to re-think about going to work for them. After all, the big companies are just that, and should respond in a big business manner and answer your questions with some professionalism.
Good luck to you and keep us posted in your search. KL
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Skacel (distributor of Addi Turbo as well as many other things) has an ad in the back of all the knitting magazines recruiting reps. Find the ad in IK or Knitters or maybe VK and, if you are serious, get in touch with them.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

imm
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile Send imm a Private Message
I saw Skacel looking for a new rep. must ravel though!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I assume you meant to type "travel." Yes, any rep, for almost any product, doe a LOT of traveling. If you're a homebody, this is not the job for you.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth