Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 What are you reading now?
 When Difficult Relatives Happen to Good People
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
I'm about half way through and enjoying it. The author offers strategies, especially for coping with extended-family gatherings and special events. Very timely for this season when many of us have no choice but to make nice!

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
This is a book??? I need this!!

My family is so bad that none of us spend any of the holidays together. We had a "special event" this summer that very nearly became WWIII.

Off to check Amazon...

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/knitted.htm
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
You are NOT ALONE!!! I forgot to mention that the author is Leonard Felder, Ph.D. I just got back from my mother's funeral with a brother with whom I have not spoken in 8 years and was pleased to see that I had used some of the mentioned techniques and THEY WORKED!! By the time I left he gave me a hug and kiss!! Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  4:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Ahh... I need that!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  9:08:35 PM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
Who published this and when was it published?

I can't think of anyone who can't use some more coping techniques this time of year!

Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
Thank you thank you! I must have this book. Today.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
I just finished it this morning and it was excellent!! It was published 2003 by Rodale Inc. ISBN 1-57954-763-X hardcover. I had gotten it in my local library call letters: 360.85 FEL To sum up Dr. Felder provides coping strategies for minor and major family issues to maximize enjoyment of family interactions. He draws from experiences within his counselling practice as well as insights gleaned from his own family. I admired his approach of maintaining respect and dignity for each family member and the reality that even after doing as much as we can do to improve the situation, often we must change our own definition of success to reflect a less that 100% improvement. Especially with big family gatherings, the root of the current family conflicts often were sewn generations ago.
Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message
Oh! I must find this book also!

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  2:08:50 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Thank you, Sher. I found the book on my library's site and reserved it. I too have a brother, and we have not spoken for years. I am looking forward to getting some ideas, mine have not worked. Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving,
Chayah
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  2:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
OMG!!! This book is a fabulous idea! I am at the moment trying to deal with my father and it takes all my patience.....perhaps this would help.

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
I just picked this up at the library and it looks very good. A very lively writing style with lots of believable examples, Thanks, Sher, this is just in time for the holidays, Chayah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe