Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 felting yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

appalachiaspinner
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  4:28:24 PM  Show Profile Send appalachiaspinner a Private Message
Has anyone tried felting with the Cestari fine merino yarns? Did you like the results? What yarns do you like felting with? Do you think single plys felt better than 2 or 3 plys? I've heard that Manos del Uruguay (single ply) and Lopi yarns (single ply) felt the best leaving no lines. Personally, as long as there are no holes, I like the lines. It gives character and design to the finished piece.
Kim

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  11:50:59 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
I've never tried the Cestari yarn, but I've used several yarns for felting. I like Cascade--both the 220 and the Pastaza. Paton's wool yarn does a pretty good job felting, but it tends to pill later. Lopi is another good yarn, but IMHO, it leaves a lot of halo. One of my favorites is Araucania Nature Wool. It does a great felting job, little to no halo, and is long lasting. FYI, generally, the lighter color the yarn, the more stitch definition you're going to see.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2364 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
When you use the Pastaza, do you use double strands, Di? I've used the Cascade 220 and always use double strands. Just worked with it in black, though, and it does NOT want to felt. All the other colors felt great.

Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  6:55:17 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
I just felted a pair of mittens in Black Cascade 220 black and it felted well. I love it because it does on leave a halo. I put them in a mesh bag and put it in with a pair of Jeans (for greater aggitation). It worked well.
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  7:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
I adore felting Lamb's Pride- the mohair leaves a lovely halo, and creates a nice thick product- its great especially for cloches.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
oh, and I think Clara did review Lamb's Pride as a felting yarn, look under yarn reviews!

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by