Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Stash Reductions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  5:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
When I participate in the stash reductions, I try to PM the seller so that I don't add to forum bandwidth. If everyone did this, so that the seller got no responses on the actual thread (versus a list of six "Rose, I PMed you", for example), the seller could delete the entire thread once they had sold out or finished the sale (since a thread can be deleted by its author only if there are no responses to it)

But is there another way to get rid of unneeded (or perhaps "no longer needed" would be a more accurate description) bandwidth use in this area? Could perhaps the sellers let Clara know when the sale is over so that she can delete the thread and free up the space?

Clara, is that adding too much work for you or might that be worth the effort?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  6:18:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
On other forums the thread is locked to replies. That makes sense to me.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
On the other hand, "Rose I pm'd you for the sock yarn" lets me and 70 other people know that the sock yarn has been spoken for and saves the bandwidth of 70 pm's (ok so 70 is probably an exaggeration, but...)

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Except it doesn't, since most folks seem to be listing more than one item at a time, and the most frequent responses in the threads are not "I PMed you about the Opal Sock Yarn colorway 789" but are nothing more than "I PMed you"

And PMs can be deleted by the individual user whether or not someone else has replied to them, but once a thread has been replied to it can't be deleted by anyone but the administrator.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
The forum I moderate uses different software, however, from section to section we can set a time limit for messages before they are autopruned. For instance if there are no replies for 90 days (or 30 or 60 depending on the set up), the software autoprunes that message. That may be a lot easier if this software has that capability than having a hands on approach for Clara or trying to re-educate folks,

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  01:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Another option: what if instead of PMs that section has to use email?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  03:26:32 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
My email has started to work sporadically. Or it could be my ex, I don't know.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

Janknit
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send Janknit a Private Message
Isn't all of this using bandwidth? Just wondering as I'm not quite sure what constitutes using bandwidth and how much it would really help in the large scheme of things as there are such a vast number of posts in the entire site.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe