Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Ann Budd's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I know Clara's review said this is a great book to use (and that's a relief!) but what are the patterns like? Are they dated or more contemporary? Has anyone made cardigans or pullovers from this book?

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  4:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
It's numbers. You find your gauge and size and knit by the numbers. You use whatever stitch, yarn, etc you want.

Not fantastic for smaller gauges (you aren't going to find the numbers for a sweater worked at 8 spi) although you can easily work around that.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

twiggyann
Gabber Extraordinaire

427 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  5:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit twiggyann's Homepage Send twiggyann a Private Message
The "copycat" patterns in there (the finished patterns included) are basically pretty classic. But as Amanda pointed out, it's not so much a pattern book as it is a book to give you the tools and starting points to design your own sweaters with your choice of yarn and needles.

Lesley

Twig's Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I love this book. No matter what yarn I want to buy I know I can make it into a sweater. And if I want to add a cable or knit it in seed stitch I know I can. Great book.

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
It's a great "blueprint" book-- from it you can make things that are currently fashionable or unfashionable, depending on how your tastes run <grin> Kidding. But it's a great resource for the numbers, shaping, and/or angles of certain things....

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
This is a great book. I use it when I'm altering a regular pattern as well as for making up my own. Besides having the numbers listed, it also has very detailed schematics.

My most-used book is her book of patterns, which includes one sweater (the sweater book includes several kinds of sleeves), gloves, socks, mittens, and hats.
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  06:37:17 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I have this book, but I'm intimidated by it. I can't seem to make myself sit down and figure it out... I find it easier to go with a ready-made pattern, but I do want to start designing my own stuff at some point.

PattiG
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com/maternal_instinct
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  07:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
Patti just take a few minutes at a time and go step by step.
use post it note to isolate the numbers in the charts you are going to be using

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I did buy it and it is very good. Just my luck that my gauge is 5.25 spi, and she has 4,5,6,7. I still have to do some arithmetic to figure out decreases and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  08:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Just do another size.

For example, pretend you want to do a sweater 40 inches around at 5.25 spi. 40 inches at 5.25 spi is 210 sts total or 105 sts/front or back. Find a gauge/size that has you cast on 105 stitches (or as close as you can get) and follow those directions. A 42 inch sweater at 5 spi should work (42 in 2 pieces is 21 inches, at 5 spi is 105 sts).

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe