Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 Rowan Big Wool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  1:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
Wow! I've made a little shoulder bag out of Rowan Big Wool and it felted like a dream. It shrinks a lot so your original item needs to be ginormous but it makes a seriously strong, sturdy felt. I've decided I like it better inside out (with the reverse St st showing) - it looks just like boucle fabric to me. The colour bled a little but didn't really fade. I'll post a pic once it's blocked and I've stitched it all together. Am currently inventing a felted flower out of the same wool.

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  3:34:00 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
I love Rowan Big Wool, but it's an awfully costly yarn to felt (at least here in the U.S.). Looking forward to seeing a picture of your bag!

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  4:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
It's pricey, yes, but there are so few feltable wools available to us I'm prepared to experiment a little. If I could find a UK source for Cascade 220, I'd probably use nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/frannybee/purpleflowerbag.jpg[/img]

I'm loving my flower at the moment. I haven't measured it yet but the flower is roughly the size of my hand.
Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  8:44:55 PM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
Rowan Big Wool is SO expensive that you're probably better off doubling a chunky or tripling a worsted weight wool. You won't be able to tell it was doubled once it's felted, and you'll still be able to get that large stitch gauge!

Cheers,
Krista Jo
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  05:18:57 AM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
The exchange rate is so bad for us in the US to get yarns from the UK - but so GREAT for you - to get yarns from here. Check Ebay on Cascade 220 - there is LOTS at great prices.

Andrea

quote:
Originally posted by Frannybee

It's pricey, yes, but there are so few feltable wools available to us I'm prepared to experiment a little. If I could find a UK source for Cascade 220, I'd probably use nothing else.

Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  12:28:53 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Lovely bag, Frannybee! I agree with the other posters--check eBay for Cascade 220, as it felts like a dream.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?