Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Sources and Discussion
 Mohair top
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
i've recently dyed some mohair top and started spinning them thin last night.

i'm curious as to what other spinners do with their mohair:

are there many mohair lovers out here?

do you spin neat mohair or do you prefer to blend them with other fibers?

Pugknits Blog

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1748 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I bought a 1 lb. bump of mohair a few years ago. It's dyed in the most beautiful colors and I couldn't resist it even though I had no idea what to do with it. Last year I finally got around to trying to spin it, and got very frustrated as it kept drifting apart. I know that I was not putting in enough twist, but at that time, I just put it back in my stash. Some months later I saw the vendor who sold it to me and she agreed that I needed to put in more twist. I've yet to get that mohair back out for spinning, and part of the reason is I don't have the perfect project in mind. This mohair is top and I suppose I could blend it with some other fiber, but part of me doesn't want to do anything to dilute the colors.

I do love mohair, but my favorite top or roving is a blend. I'm spinning up some roving that is 70% Ramboullet/30% Mohair. It's a dream to spin and I think I'm going to really love this yarn and am anxious to knit up some mittens and a scarf.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

pugsweater
Gabber Extraordinaire

452 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  12:08:07 PM  Show Profile Send pugsweater a Private Message
exactly,kim....i had to put much twist and the yarn feels more like worsted type yarn for weaving than for knitting. the fiber is so stark straight, but the luster is beautiful and shows the color so well. i can understand the bump purchase....:)

so, until i finish the 5 oz and wash it, i dunno if it will bloom a little to make it slightly more fluffy/puffy. but the mohair fiber is sticking out of the single, giving me a prickly feeling. so i wondered if most spinners use it for blending rather than spinning the top as is.

i love <url="http://www.theknittinggarden.com/js-rarecomfort.htm">jo sharp's mohair</url>......

Pugknits Blog
Go to Top of Page

glassgirl
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  4:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit glassgirl's Homepage Send glassgirl a Private Message
I've just been reading all about spinning mohair in Spin Off back issues...it seems like its very simple to spin a mixture of mohair and wool, but it also seems possible to spin it by itself. But very tight and very thin. And then after plying, it does bloom. I think you can make it bloom more by lightly brushing it out.

But I wonder if you couldn't do something like core spinning tiny tufts of top onto a fairly fine wool or maybe silk single, and if necessary to prevent shedding, spin a thread over the whole thing like with boucle.

I have a little sliver of mohair and I'm just waiting for the right moment to experiment with it.

Martha
Go to Top of Page

Destiny
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Destiny's Homepage  Send Destiny a Yahoo! Message Send Destiny a Private Message
I have a silly question what is the diffrence between sliver, top and roving?

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  6:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I used mohair top to make a wonderful pinkish boucle yarn. I put photos of the yarn on my blog - look in the October 2005 archives.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'm playing with a mohair blend right now, and in fact one of my cats is a mohair policeman - he can find the smallest bit of mohair in anything you're working with. (he's actually fond of any goat fiber, silk, and corriedale sheep, but mohair is his absolute favorite) There are pictures on my blog today of what he does when the case is solved.

I'm finding my roving tricky to get even, and I'm glad to hear you all post because I'm horribly out of shape for spinning, so I didn't know if the difficulties were from the fiber or in poor craftsmanship on my part.

Always happy to blame the fiber rather than myself.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  1:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I spindle-spun an ounce of kid mohair a few months ago. I barely twisted it enough to stay together, and had to be very careful when plying. I used it for a rolled hat brim, and then brushed it with a brass brush when it was all knitted. It bloomed beautifully and looks gorgeous!

-WendyM
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

petiteflower
Chatty Knitter

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  3:59:43 PM  Show Profile Send petiteflower a Private Message
I like spinning mohair blended with wool in top or roving form, and I love the relaxed drape that mohair gives to knitted garments like shawls and scarves. Mittens, hats, socks, they all look so casual and friendly with that mohair "floppiness". I did spin up a pound of straight mohair top a few years back and found that it took a little bit of a different knack to spin it because it is so slick and has no memory. But it is so lustrous and the colors that my mohair top had been dyed into had me intrigued enough to finally push me into my own dying operation. I ended up plying the mohair with some natural colored jacob roving and have yet to knit it up. When I finally get to it after it has matured to perfection, I can savor it and say..."2001, that was a very good year!

As far as mohair seeming a bit prickly to the skin, it is going to make a big big difference how fine the mohair fiber is and this is going to vary from animal to animal. In general, the kids who are under a year old have the finest silkiest fleeces. The yearlings are next to finest and then you have the young adults and adults. I have been scouring 3 adult mohair fleeces and there is one of the three that is much softer than the other two. All are silky-feeling and very lustrous and "seem" but to wear against the skin they would be pretty irritating. I'm going to use this mohair in socks for my husband because he wears thin cotton socks under his handknit wool socks, and I want to make a couple of big carrying bags like the Tibetans tie onto their yaks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe