Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Debbie Bliss Patterns coming out too small
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pictish
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  12:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send pictish a Private Message
Hi Everybody

This is my first posting so here goes!!

Am I the only one who has had problems with Debbie Bliss patterns coming out too small for them???? I'm fairly slim round the waist but some of these patterns seem to be designed for catwalk models One example I can thing of is the ballerina cardigan in the Cashmere Collection. It's just TINY.

Anyway I would love the hear your views!!

theraknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile Send theraknit a Private Message
I made a sweater for my 5 yr old son....St Ives Smock from the Cotton Denim Aran book and it was way too large. I made the smallest size last fall when my son was 4 and it was too large and is perfect for him now. I closely followed the gauge....so I've had quite the opposite experience.

Please note I do love her patterns and this sweater was a pleasure to knit. I'm trying to modify the pattern to fit myself!!!

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  04:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
What I found from Debbie Bliss patterns is that the womens sizes are on the small side but strangely the mens and children sizes are way too big. At least that is my experience after knitted quite a number of children items, one for my husband and two for myself. For children I know look very carefully at the sizes and adapt since both my daughters are quite slim (either take a size smaller for the width and then keep the length etc.).
Hope this helped

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  06:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I believe her kids patterns are designed to be big on purpose - you get more use out of them, for one thing. I checked a couple of her books at the LYS one afternoon, and also found that the sizing on the women's sweaters ran very small. It's highly annoying - especially since the largest size in most of the books was smaller than the average American woman.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

pictish
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  08:07:52 AM  Show Profile Send pictish a Private Message
Hi Cathy, Kristin & Marjolein

Thanks for your views. It was interesting to know others have had problems as well. I will definitely read VERY carefully before I even buy the yarn next time
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  4:18:15 PM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
I've found that, whether too big or too small for your standard notion of sizing, at least the measurements in Debbie Bliss' patterns are accurate.

This underlines the importance of looking at the measurements (and checking those against the gauge and stich number to see if the measurements themselves are trustworthy) and not the sizes (S,M,L,etc.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe