Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Images of my handspuns & handwovens
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Hi all
I've been posting images of my yarns & hand wovens on my young blog. Feel free to comment.

:)
http://yarnahoy.blogspot.com/

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  2:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
Hi Manasi,

Your scarves are lovely. I especially loved the mohair-silk blend colours, and also the colour of the skein you dyed.

Prachi.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
That shawl is to die for!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Your yarn and colors are beautiful. How long have you been spinning? It feels like it will take me forever to get up to a decent level of spinning so that I can actually knit what I make!
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I am in awe of your first woven mohair scarf!! It reminded me of the Interweave woven Nightlife scarf but in a more luxurious and feminine way. It is truly beautiful :)

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
Thanks all.
The alpaca (warp) shawl was a dream come true but a nightmare to weave. The warp broke 6 times. I always check the strength of my warps but was so excited to start this one that I didn't test-break the thread.
The mohair pieces went fairly fast but there was fluff flying around for weeks afterwards.
I've been spinning a lot in the last 6 months. My great grandparents who were freedom fighters in India had their charkhas but I didn't spin much in India. I took classes in Richmond,VA where I live. It's been one of the most liberarting experiences & has brought me much peace of mind. All the hair I rip out while weaving grow back when I spin. LOL
I love experimenting & am not a slave to patterns. I've only just started out knitting a few weeks ago & tried my first stokinette (spelling?) sampler last evening.

Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
Your scarves & shawl are beautiful.

Sizing your warp may help with the fuzzies. It will keep the warp from sticking to itself because you've "glued" the yarn together. It may also cut down a bit on the fiber in the air. It may have helped your alpaca warp some too.

I used thinned wallpaper paste. It was a powder that I mixedd with water. It makes your weaving not look very pretty on the loom, but it washes out when you finish your project. It makes weaving it much easier. There are a lot of recipes for sizing floating around. That's just an easy one I used.

KS
Go to Top of Page

Manasi
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  12:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manasi's Homepage Send Manasi a Private Message
KS,
i first warped the loom for the mohair pieces at 6epi. then re-reeded it for 5epi when i realised it was too close. At that point I just wanted it to be over. 6 epi wasnt too bad to weave but the other big mistake was that i warped for four 6 feet long pieces (the other 2 aren't on the blog yet). That caused tension trouble even though i was careful with initial tensioning.
I haven't yet resorted to sizing as it sounds icky but might give it a shot the next time I weave with fuzz...
Would you know about an online weavers forum? Something like the knitter's review? That would be awesome!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.35 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.