Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 My Christmas List
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
I would love any suggestions for spinning accessories to add to my Christmas list. I'm still fairly new to spinning so I'm not sure of all of the wonderful things that I should get.

So far I know that I want a niddy noddy but I'm still researching different kinds. Any suggestions from your personal use?

I'm looking for anything at this point and if you have websites to go with them it would be appreciated by my husband immensely!

Thanks in advance!

Fivefibers
Permanent Resident

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile Send Fivefibers a Private Message
Niddy-noddy got its name for a reason: you tend to nod off while winding your yarn! If I were you, I would go for a reel. Much easier, imo. The cost would depend on the material from which it is made (i.e., wood, metal) and might be from around $32 up. I believe Webs has them www.yarn.com and you might also try www.the-mannings.com

Fivefibers
2sheep; 3goats; 5bunnies
(so far)
Go to Top of Page

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
Things I could not live without that are spinning and fiber related are;

1) Niddy Noddy - I have an Ashford mini, and a regular sized one. I also used to have a Babe and I loved it, but it was ugly.

2) Ball winder

3) Swift - I have a wooden one

4) Hand cards

5) Drum Carder - I have the Fricke's Finest with a brush attachment. Fricke doesn't own them any more, they are now owned and made by Struach http://www.strauchfiber.com/cgi-bin/TheShop.cgi

Go to Top of Page

spinningbunny
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinningbunny's Homepage Send spinningbunny a Private Message
Hey Suzie,
Check out my site on the Accessories/Necessities page. We have beautiful hand crafted hardwood yarn measurers and colorful poly bands/cords for your wheel.

Namaste,
http://www.spinningbunny.com
Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
Thanks! I sent a detailed list to my husband. We've been together for 5 years now and I like the way we end up getting things for each other that we actually want and will use!

Eventually I'll need to buy my own wheel but for now I'm borrowing his mother's Ashford Traditional. I think maybe next Christmas I'll ask for that!
Go to Top of Page

tortadetortuga
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortadetortuga's Homepage Send tortadetortuga a Private Message
RiverRock's got it good, I can't really think of anything to add but maybe dye supplies, because making your own colorways can be a lot of fun.
A tensioned lazy kate makes plying easy-peasy.

Woolwash always makes a nice stocking stuffer too ;)

http://spaazlicious.com
http://lanasdelibelula.com
Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  09:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
Want to find out if you like Niddy-Noddy's before laying out big cash for nice wood ones? For a few pennies (or garage stash) you can make your own niddy-noddy out of irrigation pipe. We make them for beginning dyers that come to our dye parties. Everyone goes home with one if they don't own one. We usually make 18" and 36" ones (in those lengths you just count one side of wrap and multiply to find out how much yardage you have).

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

Go to Top of Page

Suziehomemaker
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  5:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suziehomemaker's Homepage Send Suziehomemaker a Private Message
I wanted to thank you all for you help with this. My parents exchanged presents with my husband and I over Thanksgiving (don't ask - it's a scheduling thing) and they got me a Niddy-Noddy and an upright Lazy Kate. Both are made out of wood and they were able to find good deals online.
Since we're moving across the country in a few weeks we had to go with small gifts. But the good news is that my birthday is in March and I should be getting my own wheel then. My mother-in-law has been waiting ever so patiently for me to finish borrowing hers, so I told her March. Now I have some accessories to go with my new wheel once it gets here.

Kitkatknit - My husband is pretty good at wood working and has offered to make me a swift and just about anything else I need for accesories (as long as there's a good picture for him to work off of). My parents were scraping for ideas for me for Christmas so I thought these would be useful - plus I made sure I suggested the cheaper ones on the list!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe