Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 1200 Yards or More
 1400 yards of alpaca/merino
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LaurelLeaf
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  10:19:26 PM  Show Profile Send LaurelLeaf a Private Message
Hello all,
I've read on and off at Knitter's Review for a while but I finally have a question that I would love your advice on. At a recent wool fair I bought lovely fawn alpaca and white merino rovings and I just had them spun up into about 1430 yards of DK-weight yarn (it's about 50% each, slightly more alpaca). Because of the mixed color it's a sort of heathery look and it's a little slubby (is that the term?). It's so soft and lovely. What should I make with it? I'd like to do a woman's sweater, I think, but I don't have a particular pattern in mind. I like Debbie Bliss' style and thought about some of her alpaca silk patterns, but I am worried about whether the substitution would be close enough. (I just substituted mohair for Colinette SilkyChic in another project and the row gauge didn't match up when the stitches did.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Laurel

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  05:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Because alpaca is ten times warmer than wool, you may want to make a lacy sweater with it. It sounds lovely!

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

LaurelLeaf
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:40:17 PM  Show Profile Send LaurelLeaf a Private Message
Lissa,

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

I live in a very cold area where the winter temps often go to ten degrees F below zero or more--and I tend to "run cold"--so I am actually happy to knit up an extra warm sweater. (I totally didn't know that about alpaca, though. Wow!) Do you have any particular patterns you'd advise for either lace or non-lace sweaters? One of my main concerns is matching the fiber type, as in the past I have always done it the other way around (found a pattern, then used the suggested yarn or a similar one).

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:17:27 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I know it is difficult to find patterns for DK weight women's sweaters - one I snagged from here on KR is a french pattern. I translated it, but I cannot vouch for how accurate the translation is. Sirdar may also have some DK weight patterns - they seem to have a lot of DK weight yarns. (I don't think you have enough yardage to double your yarn for a heavier-weight sweater.) Good luck, your yarn sounds luscious.

http://www.bergeredefrance.fr/tricotheque/pdf/662.pdf

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

LaurelLeaf
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile Send LaurelLeaf a Private Message
Well, I knitted up a swatch and it turns out to be worsted weight after all! The spinner had told me it would be DK and it looked like it, but the varying thickness and the fluffiness give me a gauge of around 3.75 st/in (but on needle sizes 4 or 5). I had been looking at some of Elsbeth Lavold's smaller-gauge Viking patterns, but now it's a whole new ballgame!
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  3:49:49 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
You'll be able to find a ton of options in worsted. The only problem will be narrowing your choice down. Have a blast!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe