Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Peruvian Highland Wool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:40:42 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I bought a bunch of this from Elann, hoping it would felt up nicely, and wow! For the price, this is going to be my felting yarn from now on. Debra

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
I'm looking at buying some for a sweater. Do you think it's suitable to wear next to the skin?
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  3:37:55 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I used some Elann Peruvian Highland Wool heathery green for some ft felt clogs for dh. It felted up fine but one of the clogs was "furry" and the other wasn't. Same yarn, same dye lot, all ordered at one time. Both felted together in the same hot water in the same washer. Very curious. So one of them got a haircut.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  4:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
SweetKat: IME it's great next to the skin, but A) I'm not terribly sensitive and B) it varies from color to color. I did a hat/scarf set in four colors (natural, warn tan, antique blue, and charcoal) and the natural was quite soft and FANTASTIC to knit with, absolutely wonderful - both the solid feel of serious wool and the softness of more processing. The other colors are great, but not as soft, and the heathered charcoal was the least so, though still far from coarse Shetland wool or the like.

As good, solid wools go, I can't recommend this stuff highly enough. If you're used to alpaca, you won't find it particularly soft, but if you're used to wool, I think you'll really like it.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  4:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
Thanks Molly I appreciate your opinion. I am a bit sensitive to wool but I think I'll give it a try. I usually wear a thin shell under my sweaters anyway. It sounds like it's on the border between soft and slightly itchy and that works for me!
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
The peruvian highland chunky is great too. MUCH softer than I thought it would be and a great value. I love that they have colors that are interesting. I used the spiced wine.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  07:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
I haven't tried the highland wool but I am knitting Ribby in their new Sierra Aran weight...it is wonderfully soft. I have sensitive skin..so sensitive that I leave red blotches on my skin if I touch it...I don't think I will have a problem with this. I plan to wear a t shirt under it but don't think it will bother my neck...

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! http://kimsknitpage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:20:30 AM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message
I used this yarn to make a top down cardigan sweater, which took several months, skipping the summer. It pilled in my knitting bag before I even finished it.
It's soft and warm and has good stitch definition, and the color is great, but the pilling makes it look like junk.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?