Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 rainbow wool and other ?s
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  2:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
My son has decided that this winter he would like felted mittens. He wants them rainbow colored. What is my best option for yarn for this without spending a lot on something he will grow out of?
I am dyeing some fishermans wool to make a felted water bottle holder (anyone have a pattern? or should I just make it up. I think I can make it up, but not entirely certain what the proportions should be). I have 3 hanks of approx 80 yards each, I will make each a different color. Will I have enough left for the mittens after making the water bottle holder? I have my doubts. Oh, my son is 6 years old, if that helps with amounts. I think I will also need a pattern for the mittens.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)

fierymyst
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fierymyst's Homepage Send fierymyst a Private Message
I suggest knit picks yarns at knitpicks.com, its inexpensive, comes in a variety of colors. I would suggest adding vinegar before felting since it tends to bleed some. I am not sure about the amt of wool because I've never knit mittens but this yarn is a alternative and felts well in the Wool of the Andes and the Merino wool

Theresa

ps. lots of free mitten patterns out there along with books to check out from the library to get your felted mitten pattern!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe