Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Help with sweater neckline please :)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seababy
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:19:09 AM  Show Profile Send seababy a Private Message
I have been knitting for five years (scarves and hats mostly)and am trying to complete my first sweater. I am at the point where I am to pick up 58 stitches on a 16" neckline (all the way around) and knit in a p1 k1 rib for one inch. I did that last night and the collar looked like a lace pattern. Am I supposed to be using smaller needles? How do i get that nice finish like I see in the picture?
I have looked through at least 13 books on sweaters and picking up stitches and none of the books tells you how to knit after you pick up the stitches. Also, when you pick up the stitches, do you work tighly in order to have a nice collar. Please help! I have worked so much on my first sweater. I dont expect a masterpiece for my 1st sweater, but i dont want it to end up in the back of my closet either! Any advice on technique or a good resource would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Does the sweater have ribbing elsewhere? What size did you use for the other ribbing? Use that size for this ribbing, too. On most sweaters, the body is done in a needle size 2 sizes bigger than the ribbing.

Amanda

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

seababy
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  10:56:34 AM  Show Profile Send seababy a Private Message
Hi,
Thank you for responding! The sweater is "scully sweater" from the book "Stitch and beach." The bottom of sweater is garter then the rest of sweater is all stocking knit. My collar was horrible! The rest of sweater is knitted beautifully with no dropped stitches and perfect guage, and I am freaking out that the whole thing could be ruined from the collar!
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
OK, go down two needle sizes from whatever you used. Try that and tell us how it looks...

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

seababy
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile Send seababy a Private Message
I will try that. It makes sense to me. I wonder why it was not mentioned in the instructions. Thank you! I will let you know how it turns out tommorow! Have a great evening!
Go to Top of Page

Ember
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ember's Homepage Send Ember a Private Message
If you had holes in it like lace I was thinking it could be because you're not bringing the yarn from front to back between purls and knits correctly. If so it would be making yarn overs which is what you do in lacework.
I agree, definitely go down about 2 sizes for the ribbing but even if you used the same size needles as the sweater body it shouldn't come out looking like lace. Same yarn and same needles wouldn't make that huge of a difference even knitting in a different pattern. It would just be a looser collar. If it truly has holes like lace then it must be the yarn overs creating gaps. Did you notice any extra stitches on the needles as you went along?
As far as how tight to knit ribbing......I do tend to knit a bit tighter. If I don't pull the yarn tight enough between the knits and purls I can see gaps. Maybe that's it too.

Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  9:26:59 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I concur on going down 2 sizes. You could even try going down 3 if it still looks loose. Be sure to pick up stitches evenly on the neckline as well.
Go to Top of Page

seababy
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  05:10:56 AM  Show Profile Send seababy a Private Message
Thank you Ember and COgirl! The ribbing pattern was correct in the collar, it was just very "holey." I didnt get to touch the sweater last night- I was making Hungarian Chicken and green beans for 3 hours, but I will let you all know if i have success with your suggestions. Thank you so much and have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

seababy
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:35:59 AM  Show Profile Send seababy a Private Message
Hey Guys,
I went and re-did my collar last night. I did not have (or could not find) 2 size down smaller needles, so I just tried again on the original needles, knitting more tightly- and actually after the bind off, the stitches looked fine. I think they just looked very wierd because there are so few stitches- you know how you first start a project and the 1st 5 or ten rows can look wierd, but when there is more work done- they start to come together? I think that is what happened- I just got upset to soon. Now I am hitting an intarsia problem. I did have the instarsia pattern fine- then all of the sudden, my purl intarsia rows started getting holes. I just dont understand how I can be doing a technique perfectly fine and then it goes bad (Maybe because it was 1:00 am :)). Oh well I am sure I will find a good picture reference to help me. Thanks again guys! I feel my collar is a success!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe