Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Hand-Jive Knits Naturally Dyed Merino
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  06:28:14 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
I've just read Clara's review (super as usual) about Darlene Hayes' naturally dyed merino wool. I've seen and bought (it's sitting in my stash), the DK weight green yarn. You think, ho hum, yet another line of dyed in the wool, but these yarns' colors are unique. Each skein is slightly different, and the solids have a subtle blending of color.

In the past, I haven't been a fan of green, but lately I've been drawn to that color. The green I have is really rich in color. I saw these yarns at TKGA (?) in Valley Forge. I was having trouble selecting which hue of green, and Darlene noticed that my hand went to one shade more than the other. She also has some nice patterns--also sitting in my stash. If she's at Stitches, I'm certainly stopping buy (pun intended).

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I just got my first shipment of these and like you I'm intrigued by the colors. I'm looking forward to working with them (as soon as I get a few projects cleaned off my plate)

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
I bought some of her fingering weight yarn at Stitches and LOVE IT! Her prices are very reasonable if you consider the base yarn is extremely similar to Koigu and she uses natural dyes which is more difficult than synthetic dyeing. The colors aren't anything like Koigu, but they're unique in their own right and beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2084 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  06:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
You're right, Pam, that Clara's review was excellent as per her usual.
The yarn description & the dye process is very attractive to me & when I am able to see my way clear of some stash & have more $$s, I will order some! I have bookmarked the home page of the Hand-Jive website.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  4:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
I ordered a sample card of the merino wool, and can't wait!

Argus

Carpe diem.

My blog http://kloobok.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

simpleknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send simpleknitter a Private Message
two skeins of fingering weight in light teal came yesterday and I am in love. Very subtle and beautiful shading. just when you think you've seen it all..
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
i stopped by a LYS friday and they had some of her yarn! i bought the spring grass and ripe wheat. The lady at the store says she doesn't normally have them, but the woman from Hand Jive was in town for a weavers' event (she thought) and stopped in the store so they picked up some of her yarn while she was there. Lucky me! the colors are even more appealing in person and i love the idea behind it.

holly x
"do what you love, love what you do, leave the world a better place and don't pick your nose" -Jef Mallett
little miss messy hair's blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?