Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Lucet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Does anyone know where I can get a pattern to make a lucet? (or actually, just how big the hole in the middle ususally is - I think I can figure the rest out...)

thanks!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  07:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
The hole in the middle (in the yoke between the horns) isn't actually necessary. I never use mine. If you want to add one, make it large enough to hold five strands or so of the type of yarn you intend to lucet.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  10:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Thanks! I have a spare chunk of wood and wanted to try to make one!

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
My lucet (handmade by my husband) doesn't even have a hole. Stacey, hope you have fun as much fun making yours as Ralph did making mine!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Thank you for bringing this up! I had seen these used at Ren Faire when I was there with a greyhound group and therefore had no chance to actually talk to the people using them. I've wondered ever since what they were and what the end product was used for. Now I know and am going to badger Tony into making me one!

Before he gets to do that, could you get a similar product by just using two prongs of a spool knitter? I can see how this would make great drawstring for a chemise or lacing for a bodice!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
OK, I give up. What is a lucet, and is it a noun or a verb? What is the final product, either the lucet (if it's a noun) or the fiber piece (if it's a verb). I am totally out of it on this one, and you've piqued my curiosity.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Marie, a lucet is a device for making a square-knot cord out of string or yarn. It looks similar to an old-fashioned slingshot, with the tips curving slightly outward and no rubber band. You make a slip knot over one prong (I always start on the right), then wrap the yarn in a figure eight so you end up with one loop on the second prong and the slip knot & one yarn loop over the first. Bring the slip knot up and over the loop, then pull the working yarn so you end up with a snug little knot in the middle of your figure eight. You need to keep a good grip on your yarn tail/already made cord when you do this. Put a second loop over the second prong, lift the first over it, and snug it. Continue in this manner, first over one prong then over the second, until the cord is the length you want. To end, cut your working yarn leaving about 8" or so. Run this through the loop on the prong that is "next in line" to be worked, slip the loop off, and pull until it is gently snug. Run the tail through the last loop, slip the loop off, and pull snug. If you pull the first tail too tightly, you will not be able to snug the final loop.

It's easier than it sounds, honest!!

Chris, you're right, it makes a great bodice lace. I used one on my bodice for about 5 years before I had to replace it. Mind you, it probably would have lasted longer if I hadn't gained weight & put extra stress on it :-) Not sure you could make it on a knitting spool, though; I think you would have problems with the loops slipping off when you snug the knots.

--Susan T-O etc.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  06:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Marie, here is a very pretty lucet: http://www.dropspindle.info/accessories.html#lucets
I'm not wild about luceting (the object is a lucet, so it's a noun, but the word is used pretty regularly as a verb) because it makes my trigger knuckle sore, but luceted cords are very handy and can be very pretty--there are all sorts of ways to add embellishments and color-play. I had luceted shoestrings on yesterday. It's also a good way to use up little bits of yarn--you can make nice loops for Christmas stockings or ties for fly-away cardigans or button-loops for frog-type closures or or or--it goes on and on.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
Susan and Lanea, thanks for the info. I had never heard the term, not in 40+ years of needlework! It sounds like a fun process, a neat end product, and the forks were incredible!
I think I'll try this some time.

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  4:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Thank you all for the information. I had inherited a metal version and never knew what it was nor how it was used!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe